- Maoist leader Ungal arrested by ASR dist police
- Builders in Hyderabad Sell Skyscrapers Sans RERA Nod
- NIA seizes Canada-based terrorist’s properties
- Warangal: Focus on developmental works, says MLA Aroori Ramesh
- Skill Development Corporation scam: Karumuri questions Pawan’s silence
- Vijayawada: ANU inks pact with Takshashila IAS academy
- Khammam: TWJF members check up on tribal leader Sondi Veeraiah
- Joint poll panel to take views of parties, Law Commission
- CID quizzes Naidu for 7 hrs
- PM Narendra Modi to flag off Hyderabad-Yesvantpur Vande Bharat Express today
Accidents increase on NH-16, 216
The accidents have been on the rise on National Highway No.16 between Siddantam bridge and Tuni and National Highway No.216 between Kakinada and Ravulapalem in East Godavari district.
Rajamahendravaram: The accidents have been on the rise on National Highway No.16 between Siddantam bridge and Tuni and National Highway No.216 between Kakinada and Ravulapalem in East Godavari district.
In 2018, as many as 188 people died in 581 accidents and in 2019 till May 210 people died in 586 accidents. Due to lack of signal lights at important junctions, lack of awareness among people on crossing the roads, free movements of cattle, overspeed and parking of lorries on the road margin without proper signal lights, etc are the main reasons for the accidents.
Meanwhile, the proposed flyovers on the national highways to ease the traffic flow and prevent accidents are yet to materialise. Tenders are yet to be finalised for the proposed flyovers at Vemagiri, Jonnada, Lalachervu, Diwanchervu and foundation stone was laid to a flyover at Morampudi junction but works are yet to begin.
The accidents are taking place at Vemagiri, Diwanchervu, Morampuudi and Rajanagaram junctions, mainly between Kattipudi and Tuni on the National Highway No.16. Meanwhile, the national highway between Kakinada and Yanam is also posing problems to the vehicle riders. According to an official of highways, overspeed and drunken driving are contributing to the accidents. Moreover, many people cross the national highway without taking any care which is another factor contributing to the increase in accidents.