- Grand opening of Interwood’s 16th Exclusive Brand outlet at Hyderabad
- Rakesh Sharma Director of ITV Group elected as new president of INS
- Asian Games: India stun Korea for historic maiden entry in men's team badminton final
- Asian Games: India thrash Pakistan 10-2, hand archrivals biggest defeat ever
- Hockey Association of Odisha beat Hockey Jharkhand in Sub-Junior men, women finals
- Day after alleged manhandling, model turned actress Archana Gautam suspended from Congress
- Asian Games: Indian Men's Hockey Team stuns Pakistan, picks dominant 10-2 win
- Foreign intelligence agency involved in terror incidents in Pak, claims Minister
- Tribal party sponsored 12-hour bandh hits normal life in Tripura’s tribal areas
- US misses the 'bigger picture' on row with Canada, says Jaishankar
Amaravati: Centre to import onions to overcome crisis
The Central government has taken initiative to import onions from other countries to overcome the problem, Union Cabinet secretary Rajiv Gauba said while addressing the chief secretaries of various states through video conference on Monday.
Amaravati: The Central government has taken the initiative to import onions from other countries to overcome the problem, Union Cabinet secretary Rajiv Gauba said while addressing the chief secretaries of various states through video conference on Monday.
He instructed the state chief secretaries to procure onion available in the local markets and make it available for people in Rythu Bazaars and other distribution points. He also instructed them to take proactive measures to prevent hoarding and their sale at exorbitant prices.
Chief Secretary Nilam Sawhney informed the Union Cabinet secretary that most of the onion is imported from Maharashtra for consumption in AP. "There has been shortage of onions in the market hence the high prices," she said.
Efforts were on to solve the problem by procuring onion and sell them through Rythu Bazaars at subsidised rates.
The chief secretary said that vigilance department has been instructed to take action against the illegal stocks and conduct raids against hoarders.