- Gold rates in Hyderabad slashes today, check the rates on 28 February, 2024
- TDP-Jana Sena to hold Telugu Jana Vijaya Ketanam meeting in Tadepalligudem today
- Narayana Yuva Sena demands fresh water supply from plant established by Narayana
- Durgesh supporters take out rally seeking ticket to him
- NMD Farooq consoles kin of those died due to arrest of Naidu in Nandyal
- MWC 2024: Samsung Displayed OLED Cling Band: A Futuristic smartphone and a smartwatch
- Bishop Jayarao Polimera, Head of the Roman Catholic emphasises youth should have talent
- GVMC mayor lays foundation stone for development works in Maddilapalem
- Kotamreddy confident of hattrick victory
- MVV Satyanarayana lays foundation stone for Varasiddhi Vinayaka Durga Polamamba Temple in Vizag
Demand to increase in No. of divisions in Vijayawada Municipal Corporation
There has been a demand for increase in the number divisions in Vijayawada Municipal Corporation ahead of elections for local bodies.
Vijayawada: There has been a demand for increase in the number divisions in Vijayawada Municipal Corporation ahead of elections for local bodies. Presently, there are 59 divisions in the city. Mayor Koneru Sridhar has requested the Election Commission to increase the number of divisions by taking in to consideration of voters' strength.
Nearly 1.5 lakh new voters have joined in the city voters list. Recently the Election Commission has finalised the voters list of Vijayawada Municipal Corporation and is also taking steps for the conduct of elections for local bodies.
The Election Commission and political parties have started the plans for the elections. The TDP requested the Election Commission to increase the number of divisions. During 2014 elections, when the voters' strength was 6.30 lakh, there were 59 divisions which were permitted by the Election Commission.
Before that, the Vijayawada Municipal Corporation had only 50 divisions when the voters' strength was five lakh. In 2014, the divisions' number was increased from 50 divisions to 59 divisions by taking into consideration of increased voters' strength. Presently, the TDP requested the Election Commission to follow similar guidelines to increase the wards.
As per the recent voters list prepared by officials, there are 7.78 lakh voters in the city. There are chances to add another 10 divisions. Mayor Koneru Sridhar said that as per norms, each division may contain voters ranging from 6,000 to 10,000. Many of the divisions contain voters in the range. However, contrary to it, there are 24,000 voters are in several divisions in the city, he said and requested the Election Commission officials to form the divisions uniformly as per the equal voters' number.
Speaking to The Hans India, he said that the supervision of development and connectivity to local body will be easier, if the divisions number is increased.