Live Updates: Voting largely peaceful barring few incidents, says EC
- Voting for assembly polls has begun in Andhra Pradesh, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh and parts of Odisha.
- The first phase of polls will decide the fate of 217 candidates
- The counting of votes will be held on May 23
Polling for the 175 assembly constituencies and 25 Lok Sabha segments across Andhra Pradesh started at 7 a.m. on Thursday. The Election Commission has arranged 27,817 polling centres in the state with 46,120 booths. A total of 4.20 lakh staff are taking part in the election duty. In all, 2118 candidates are in fray for the Assembly polls and 319 candidates are contesting for the 25 Lok Sabha segments in the State. A total of 3,93,45,717 voters to exercise their franchise. Men voters are 1,94,62,339, women voters are 1,98,79,421 and third gender voters are 3957.
Elaborate arrangements are made for the peaceful conduct of polling as State and central forces are deployed across the state. The Mock polling has been completed before 7 a.m. The EC has ordered for the mock polling since 5.30 a.m. to test the functioning of the EVMs and to ensure smooth process of voting in the polling booths. Special arrangements are made in the Maoist affected areas and faction ridden areas in the state. Polling will be held from 7 am to 6 p.m
Watch Live Updates here
- Concerned over reports of alleged tampering of voters' verdict: Pranab Mukherjee
- Opposition leaders meet EC officials, demand verification of VVPAT slips before counting of votes
- Sanjeeva Matandoor: Congress-JD (S) coalition has failed the people of Karnataka
- EVMs absolutely safe in strongrooms: Election Commission
- Pakistani boat carrying drugs seized by Indian Coast Guard