Sparing no efforts to contain seasonal ills
The GHMC has been suffering from fund crunch at a time when seasonal diseases are rising across the city. GHMC Commissioner DS Lokesh Kumar noted that about Rs 147 crore are required per month for the progress of the preventive measures, but only Rs 110 crore is available a month.
Hyderabad: The GHMC has been suffering from fund crunch at a time when seasonal diseases are rising across the city. GHMC Commissioner DS Lokesh Kumar noted that about Rs 147 crore are required per month for the progress of the preventive measures, but only Rs 110 crore is available a month.
The commissioner was conducting a meeting on the eradication of dengue and other seasonal diseases at the GHMC office on Friday. He informed that, "There are 2,400 dengue cases registered in Telangana, of which some 845 cases are from Hyderabad. 410 areas are identified as high-risk areas in Hyderabad." "The process of preventing mosquitoes will be continued till December. Special teams are analyzing about the active time of mosquitoes," he said.
Later, he listed the preventive measures taken by the GHMC:
GHMC is preparing plans to stop the spread of seasonal diseases in the city, especially to eradicate mosquitoes
- A total staff of 2,375 of entomology department are working on removal of larvae and impressing upon people to avoid water stagnation and untidy surroundings
- As many as 650 entomology teams are tracing out larvae-attacked places. Some 1, 40,000 houses have been traced so far and precautions have been taken
- Awareness programmes are conducted in some 1,800 schools on problems caused due to the spreading of mosquitoes
- Fogging being conducted in 150 colonies daily with 150 portable and 10 fogging machines. Confirmation signatures are taken from corporators, local leaders and residents
- 25 doctors are allotted at special OP counters in Gandhi, Osmania and Niloufer Hospitals
- Evening clinics are conducted in 95 urban health centers
- As many as 105 Basthi Dawakanas are fully equipped to conduct tests.
- Some 200 types of tests and 15o types of medicines are being supplied for free in Basthi Dawakanas.
- 500 medical camps have been conducted in high-risk areas in the city
- Stagnant water being removed in overhead tanks, nalas, potholes, drums, pots and tires regularly
- Perethrium spray being sprinkled in areas that are affected with Dengue and Malaria and the areas are being regularly inspected through geo-tagging
- Around 42 larvae eradication teams with 126 members are spraying and removing garbage from Attapur to Chadarghat on both sides of River Musi
- Hyacinth is being removed regularly in main lakes of GHMC zone.
- Spraying to eradicate mosquitoes is being conducted with drones in lakes
- Awareness messages were sent to 10.5-lakh house taxpayers on dengue prevention
- Preventive measures are being taken on the complaints on social media, my GHMC app and dial100.
- Awareness programmes are being conducted to maintain Friday as dry day in schools, colleges, factories, godowns and organizations
- Nearly 8-lakh pamphlets are distributed in slums to maintain Friday as dry day
- 5-lakh pamphlets are distributed by Entomology Department on Dengue and its prevention
- Hoardings have been installed in 50 major areas in the city to bring awareness on Dengue and its prevention