- Suspected IED blast kills student in Manipur, another injured
- Asian Track Cycling: Arshad Shaikh, Jyoti Gaderiya win their third gold; Harshita bags silver as India claims four medals
- Corporate earnings surprised on the upside due to improvement in margins
- Ashok Chavan 'injures' Congress again, 55 Nanded ex-corporators join BJP
- Adani Group, Uber to form JV to help expand fleet on green energy?
- One killed as fire breaks out in Singapore apartment
- Two soldiers killed after helicopter crashes in US
- No difference of opinion between me and Satheesan, says Sudhakaran after show of temper
- ‘Farmers first’ policy is Modi govt's resolve to boost their income: A look at key initiatives
- KIUG 2023: Shooter Tejaswini bags Delhi University’s first medal; Chandigarh on top of medal table
Congress-BJP Spar Over President Trump's Visit
Senior Congress leader and Rajya Sabha member Anand Sharma observed that his party welcomes US President Donald Trump's visit
Senior Congress leader and Rajya Sabha member Anand Sharma observed that his party welcomes US President Donald Trump's visit, and described India's relationship with the US as a strategic one. However, he was critical of the Modi government organising the event through a private entity. Another Congress leader, Thiruvananthapuram MP Shashi Tharoor tweeted sarcastically to say that someone should inform President about the actual numbers when it comes to people lining up to greet him. Tharoor's post read, "Someone better tell @realDonaldTrump that the entire population of Ahmedabad—every man, woman and child, including those too old and sick to greet him— doesn't add up to 6 million. He's in for a great disappointment unless he repeats his creative crowd counting on Inaugural Day and adds a few zeros!"
Someone better tell @realDonaldTrump that th entire population ofAhmedabad—every man,woman&child, incl those too old&sick to greet him— doesn't add up to 6 million. He's in for a great disappointment,unless he repeats his creative crowd counting on InauguralDay &adds a few zeros! https://t.co/s2oU1OsiR8— Shashi Tharoor (@ShashiTharoor) February 21, 2020
Shashi Tharoor's response comes in the wake of the US President's statements that he was told that 6-8 million people would be there to welcome him.
Congress Lok Sabha MP Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury took a jibe at the Modi government saying that President Trump is coming to India without a trade deal. In a translated version of a popular Hindi saying he said PM Modi reckons that a one-eyed uncle is better than no uncle.
Trump is coming sans a trade deal,— Adhir Chowdhury (@adhirrcinc) February 20, 2020
he may expect free meal,
PM is happy because one-eyed uncle
is better than no uncle!
Congress also wondered why the government was spending Rs. 120 Crore on the Namaste Trump event when it was being organised by an NGO.
BJP spokesperson Sambit Patra remarked that The Congress party is in political ICU. He observed that Congress took objection to everything which PM Modi did. He added that when Donald and Trump and Narendra Modi meet, it is not just two individuals meeting, but the coming together of two important world leaders. He pointed out that certain events such as the visit of the US President should be above politics.
Meanwhile, reports came in that Ivanka and her husband Jared Kushner will also be accompanying her father, President Trump and the US First Lady, Melania Trump.