- We implemented guarantees with development programmes, says Siddaramaiah
- March 2024: Embracing a Spectrum of Festivals, from Holi to Maha Shivratri
- World Compliment Day 2024: Why do we celebrate this day?
- World Civil Defence Day 2024: Date, history and significance
- Critically acclaimed film ‘Sagu’ takes center stage with Niharika Konidela’s endorsement
- Self-Injury Awareness Day 2024: Date, history and significance
- World Day of Prayer 2024: Date, history and significance
- Radisson Hotel Drug Case: Investigation unveils intricacies; Director Krish declared absconding
- Ramadan 2024: Here’s when Ramzan crescent moon will be sighted in India and Saudi Arabia
- Lavu Sri Krishna Devarayalu to join TDP in March 2
Tirhut canal breaches embankment in Bihar's Muzaffarpur district
Two NDRF teams have been deployed at the site, under Mohammadpur Kothi panchayat, and relief work is being carried out as per standard operating procedure.
Muzaffarpur: An embankment of Tirhut canal in Bihar's Muzaffarpur district breached in the early hours of Sunday, inundating at least six villages, an official release said.
The breach took place around 3.30 am near Pilkhi village of Muraul block, the release said.
"There is a 50-60 feet breach in the embankment," the release said.
Two teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have been deployed at the site, under Mohammadpur Kothi panchayat, and relief work is being carried out as per Standard Operating Procedure (SOP), the release said.
Attributing the reason behind the breach to the pressure of floodwater in the canal which is connected to Budhi Gandak river, the release said, the affected people of the nearby villages had been already been shifted to safer places.