Modernisation works to be completed by 2019-end

Modernisation works to be completed by 2019-end
Highlights

The decade old multicrore Tungabhadra High Level Canal HLC Modernisation Project launched in 2008 is likely to be completed only by the end of 2019, according to indications from the engineering department sources of the Tungabhadra HLC Project

Anantapur: The decade old multi-crore Tungabhadra High Level Canal (HLC) Modernisation Project launched in 2008 is likely to be completed only by the end of 2019, according to indications from the engineering department sources of the Tungabhadra HLC Project.

The reasons for the 10-year delay include negligence of contractors, inability and helplessness of engineering personnel to continuously undertake works execution as water flows through the canal for 6 months in a year and farmers disinclination to declare crop holiday to enable contractors to complete the project on a war footing in one crop year.

HLC Superintending Engineer M Surendra Reddy told The Hans India that presently the on-going modernisation works include Guntakal Branch Canal (GBC) and the Mid-Pennar South Canal (MPSC) and the High Level Main Canal (HLMC) apart from the Flood Flow Canal modernisation.

These works would be completed by the middle of 2019 or so. Presently works had been stopped as the Tungabhadra dam water has been released and as the water will continue to flow until January, works can be resumed only in February 2019 and execute works until July 2019.

Similarly, on the Karnataka side the Tungabhadra Board had initiated modernisation works from its side from 0 to 105 km-long HLC on its side. Already, 60 per cent of works had been completed. They are expected to complete the remaining 40 per cent by the end of 2019. By the year 2020, the entire canal modernisation project would be completed.

The project is aimed at modernising the canal systems through which the allocated water for AP state to the tune of 32.5 tmcft of water was supposed to traverse a 100-km from Karnataka to reach AP border.

The modernisation works became necessary due to decline in water flows from the allocated 32.5 tmcft to 22 to 26 tmcft and also due to reduction in reservoir intake capacity from 132 tmcft to 100 tmcft at the Tungabhadra dam in Karnataka.

The project was supposed to be completed in 57 months spilled over to beyond 2018. The bridges works’ at Yerraguntla, Untakallu, Neemakallu, Kottapalle and Rayanapalle too are making progress. Of the 15 branch canals, except 1 and 9, the rest are on the verge of completion.

The modernisation project involved strengthening of canal bunds and widening them, arresting seepage of water, de-silting of the canal and other related works. The modernisation project involves execution of six packages worth Rs 250 crore.

The project's HLC modernisation works will benefit the farmers in Karnataka, Anantapur, Kadapa and Kurnool. The major benefit of the modernisation works include an increased intake of inflows from 2,800 cusecs to 4,200.

During floods, due to canal widening it can contain more water and increases intake by another 4-5 tmcft of water apart from bringing down seepage losses by 20 per cent.

In the past, after the water is released from the Tungabhadra dam, it used to take 3 days to arrive in AP whereas after modernisation the water would reach within 24 hours to AP side. The modernisation of the canal would help in preventing seepage losses up to 10 tmcft of water which is very precious to a district like Anantapur.

Show Full Article
Download The Hans India Android App or iOS App for the Latest update on your phone.
Subscribed Failed...
Subscribed Successfully...
More Stories


Top