Tributes paid to Mahatma Phule on birth anniversary
Eluru: West Godavari District Collector Dr G Vani mohan called upon people to...
Eluru: West Godavari District Collector Dr G Vani mohan called upon people to rededicate themselves to realise the dreams of Mahatma Jyothirao Phule for an egalitarian society.A She was the chief guest at a function to mark the birth anniversary celebrations of Mahatma Phule at the local IADP hall on Thursday.
Speaking on the occasion, she said Phule led a movement for emancipation of economically and socially backward communities 200 years ago and demanded reservations for them. He also fought for equal rights for women and in the process appointed his wife as a teacher to spread education among women, she said. She paid floral tributes to the portrait of Phule on the occasion.
Expressing anguish at the growing atrocities against women, she called upon women to fight for justice. A BC Welfare Department official Chandrasekhar, former minister Maradani Ranga Rao, District Revenue officer M Mohana Raju, BC Association leader Venkateswara Rao, district Rajaka Jana Sangh president Chikalapalli Katlayya, Tentu Suryanarayana, Baji Rao, among others, participated in the function.
The Collector has handed over mementoes to officers belonging to BC communities for meritorious services on the occasion.A The Collector also garlanded the statues of Mahatma Phule and his wife Savitri Phule at the local ZP office.
- Vice President Naidu calls for concerted global action to eliminate terror
- Twenty-seven thousand youths lose their jobs every 24 hours: Rahul in Amethi
- Deve Gowda urges world community to come together to eliminate terrorism
- Cong, CPI(M) working together to make Modi PM again: Mamata
- Delhi HC defers hearing appeal filed by anti-Sikh riots convicts to May 20