Top

Good days ahead for farmers

Good days ahead for farmers
Highlights

The farmers are all smiles with the decision taken by the NSP officials to release water for the crops to be grown in the Rabi season and the measures...

Khammam: The farmers are all smiles with the decision taken by the NSP officials to release water for the crops to be grown in the Rabi season and the measures taken by the electricity department officials to supply 24-hours uninterrupted power supply from January onwards.

The Krishna River Board announced that about 65 per cent of water can be utilised by Andhra Pradesh and the remaining 35 percent by the Telangana State. In this context, the T­elangana State government had decided to utilise the allotted 35 per cent of water and gave green signal for the NSP officials for releasing water to save the standing crop grown under Nagarjuna Sagar ayacut.

The officials of Nagarjuna Sagar Project (NSP) had taken all the measures to utilise its share of water to its full extent allotted by the Krishna River Board. By preparing the schedule to release the water through On-Off method (Nine days On-Six days Off) from Nagarjuna Sagar Dam to the left canal to fulfill the needs of both irrigation (in Rabi) and drinking water, the officials submitted the report to the government.

As water level in Srisailam Project reached to its full capacity due to heavy inflow of water from neighbouring states, the water is released into Nagarjuna Sagar Dam. The present water level in Nagarjuna Sagar Dam is at 570-feet out of its full capacity of 590-feet.

By conducting a meeting with the farmers, the NSP officials prepared a schedule for releasing of water from December 10 to March 31, 2018 and submitted proposals to the government in this regard.

The Executive Engineer of NSP Venkateshwarlu said that as soon as the government gives nod, water will be released for the Rabi crops between December 10 to March 31 through ON-OFF method.

As only 40 tmcs of water is allotted for Rabi season, he suggested farmers cultivating ‘Aruthadi crops’ instead of paddy cultivation, which would give more profits to them. He also suggested adopting proper methods for preventing water loss.

The Officials of electricity department are taking all necessary measures to ensure 24 hours of uninterrupted power supply from January. They established as many as 11 extreme High-Tension Electricity Sub-stations in the district.

In a recent visit to Sattupalli, the Director of TSNPDCL B Venkateshwar Rao said that all the necessary steps are taken for supplying 24-hours uninterrupted power supply from January onwards to the farmers for the irrigation purpose.

He also said that the government has already invested Rs 900 crores for purchasing of power and is ready to invest an additional Rs 300 crores to purchase power from the neighbouring State Chattisgarh. All the farmers who apply for electricity connection will be given connection within one month, he assured.

Expressing his happiness, a farmer Bairi Sambaiah said that the government had finally recognised the problems faced by farmers and is taking measures to supply water and electricity for irrigation purpose.

Show Full Article
Print Article

Download The Hans India Android App or iOS App for the Latest update on your phone.
Subscribed Failed...
Subscribed Successfully...
Next Story
More Stories