- Machilipatnam: Collector orders special care for weak students
- Lok Sabha seats to be pared down South in delimitation process
- ACB court to take up CID custody petition today
- Govt taking all measures to protect endowments lands: Minister
- 1.54 cr students get benefited under Jagananna Gorumudda
- Hyderabad: Infinity Learn by Sri Chaitanya reports strong revenue growth
- Home Minister Mohammed Mahmood Ali inaugurates 2,306 CCTV cameras
- Gold and silver rate in Hyderabad today stable, check the rates on September 26, 2023
- Gold rate in Vijayawada today stable, check the rates on 26 September, 2023
- Cyberabad traffic police issues traffic advisory on immersion
No Bathukamma sarees for festival as EC bars govt. from distributing
The election commission has barred the state government from distributing the Bathukamma sarees as the model code of conduct is in force
Hyderabad: The election commission has barred the state government from distributing the Bathukamma sarees as the model code of conduct is in force.
According to the code, the government should not initiate or promote any schemes existing in the state.
The decision was taken by the EC after the Chief Electoral Officer wrote to the centre seeking permission for the distribution of sarees for the festival. But it was denied.
The government has initiated the scheme last year of which sarees will be distributed to the women aged above 18 years belonging to weaker sections.
Over 95 lakh sarees have been sent to the districts to be distributed on October 12. The government has spent Rs 280 crore for procuring the sarees.