Chennai building collapse: Toll rises to 32
Chennai Building Collapse: Toll Rises to 32. The toll in the collapse of an 11-storey building in Chennai went up to 32, after the recovery of 10 more bodies on Tuesday.
Chennai: The toll in the collapse of an 11-storey building in Chennai went up to 32, after the recovery of 10 more bodies on Tuesday. A total of 26 persons have been rescued so far as the non-stop rescue efforts, involving multiple agencies, entered the fourth day on Tuesday, Director, Public Health, K Kulandaisamy said.
"Mahesh was rescued alive on Tuesday besides two others. He has indicated that several persons are alive under the rubble, including his wife. This has enthused rescue personnel," the official said.
Four people were rescued on Tuesday after 60 hours under the debris. One of them, a 50-year-old woman, died soon after in hospital, taking the number of dead to 28. Those pulled out alive this morning are Mahesh, 23, and Anasuya, 30, from AP and 27-year-old Senthil from Tamil Nadu's Madurai district.
Kulandaisamy said there were indications that the first and ground floors of the building had not fully crumbled.
Of the three rescued, two belonged to AP and they have been admitted in the SRMC. "They are stable," the official said.
Officials say 26 have been pulled out alive while 18 more could still be inside. Workers continue to drill holes and clear the rubble from the site, where faint cries for help could be heard till yesterday.
Meanwhile, four bodies were shifted to their native places in Vizianagaram district. Two more bodies would be shifted on Wednesday after post mortem examination was conducted, police said.
Nine workers who were taken out of the debris were convalescing in the hospital and the condition of two of them was serious, the officials said. The officials said that 26 more persons were yet to be retrieved from the debris.