Japan Oly poster girl Ikee diagnosed with leukaemia
Japans swim queen Rikako Ikee, a poster girl for next years Tokyo Olympics, has been diagnosed with leukaemia, the 18yearold tweeted on Tuesday
Tokyo : Japan’s swim queen Rikako Ikee, a poster girl for next year’s Tokyo Olympics, has been diagnosed with leukaemia, the 18-year-old tweeted on Tuesday.
In a shock announcement, Ikee said: “After feeling unwell I returned in haste from Australia and following tests I was diagnosed with leukaemia. I still can’t believe it myself and I’m in a state of confusion.”
Ikee shot to fame at last year’s Asian Games, where she captured a record six gold medals to fire a warning for the 2020 Olympics in her home city.
The teenage superstar, who holds a string of national records, has been tipped to push for gold on several fronts, in particular in the women’s 100 metres butterfly.
Ikee told fans she was determined to beat her illness after being forced to abandon her training camp in Australia.
- Amit Shah votes in Ahmedabad
- Lok Sabha polls: 12% polling till 9.30 am in Chhattisgarh
- Will quit party if denied ticket, says BJP MP Udit Raj
- Third phase of polls: Congress urges voters to cast vote
- Lok Sabha elections Phase 3 live Updates: Voting under way in biggest phase, a fifth of LS seats up for