Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana
It incorporates the best features of all previous schemes and at the same time, all previous shortcomings/weaknesses have been removed. The scheme...
Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana is scheme for protecting financial loss due to crop failure. The scheme would cover all farmers. The Scheme is in line with One Nation – One Scheme theme.
It incorporates the best features of all previous schemes and at the same time, all previous shortcomings/weaknesses have been removed. The scheme will be implemented by the Department of Agriculture and Cooperation (DAC), the relevant state government, and various agencies such as commercial banks, cooperative banks, regional rural banks, etc.
- The scheme will cover the following areas.
- (i) Yield losses,
- (ii) Prevented sowing (due to adverse weather conditions),
- (iii) Post-harvest losses,
- (iv) Localised calamities (such as hailstorm, inundation, etc.). Yield losses and prevented sowing will be insured at the village level. Post-harvest losses and localised calamities will be covered at an individual farm basis.
- The scheme will not cover losses due to war, nuclear risks, theft, domestic or wild animals, and preventable post-harvest risks.
- (The writer is an IAS mentor)