- Rapid Obesity Surge: India Faces Alarming Projections by 2030
- Google temporarily reinstates all delisted apps after Centre's intervention
- India, Korea can actively contribute to reshaping global order: EAM Jaishankar
- Maulana Siddiqui delaying trial in mass conversion case, UP govt tells Supreme Court
- India story revolves around robust earnings growth: HSBC's Van Der Linde
- LS polls: Congress likely to join hands with AIADMK in Tamil Nadu
- Punjab Budget: No new taxes, silent on Rs 1,000 for women
- BSP decides contest along with BRS in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections
- Britannia Industries Limited announces a One-day Internship to raise awareness about Croissants
- Women on company boards supports good corporate governance: Moody’s
Tirupati: Bold reforms to check desertification needed
Prof T Giridhar Krishna of the SV Agriculture College here has stressed the need for bold reforms to check desertification and drought in the world and in India in particular.
Tirupati: Prof T Giridhar Krishna of the SV Agriculture College here has stressed the need for bold reforms to check desertification and drought in the world and in India in particular.
Addressing a meeting held at Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) campus jointly by Rayalaseema Economic Association, Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA), Tirupati local branch and Centre for Women's Studies on Monday, he said that more than 50 per cent of agriculture area in India is drought prone.
Scientists were giving training in the scheme of ARYA (Attraction of Rural Youth in Agriculture) for farmers sons to continue in that sector.
The meeting was held on the eve of UNO's "World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought".
Prof MS Soundararajan of Nandyal highlighted semi-arid, arid menaces which led to desertification. Prof R Jagadiswara Rao explained the importance of water, human values and culture. Federation of Farmers Association State President M Gopal Reddy, Prof C Sujathamma of Sri Padmavati Women's College, IIPA Tirupati Branch Chairman Prof A Ranga Reddy, Dr A Samanthakamani, Prof MC Reddeppa Reddy and others also spoke on the occasion.