- Samsung Announces New Memory Variant of Galaxy A15 5G at INR 17999
- Immunity-boosting foods for a healthy life
- Celebrating Leap Day 2024: Wishes and Messages for Leaplings
- Vanchit Bahujan Aghadi eyes 27 Maha LS seats, wants to put up Jarange-Patil
- 'Purely governmental function': Delhi HC refuses to order new 24-hour pan-India Doordarshan channel for Sindhi community
- PM kickstarts LS polls campaign from 'lucky Yavatmal', slams UPA regime's graft
- Congress to make declaration on special category status to Andhra
- J&K Muslim Conference's both factions declared unlawful associations
- Nifty logs its biggest point and per cent loss in 25 sessions
- KIUG 2023: Chandigarh University men, Adamas University women clinch badminton team golds
Kick-start healthy eating with crunchy salads
A fit and healthy life cannot be achieved by crash diets or small bursts of exercise
A fit and healthy life cannot be achieved by crash diets or small bursts of exercise. It can only be achieved by persistent efforts, which one has to make day in and day out, over a long period of time.
Everyone wants to lose weight, but not everyone is able to do so as it takes discipline and some amount of mindfulness about what goes onto the plate. As we know, diet is a crucial part of fitness and weight loss and it requires one to eat healthy and clean.
Working professionals find it especially difficult to lose weight, due to long office hours. However, a little bit of preparation can help you eat healthy even while working in the office.
With busy lives and less time to prepare meals, salads definitely come to rescue when you are on a constant lookout for a quick and healthy fix in order to stay energised for day-long activities.
Here are some quick and easy salad recipes from California Walnuts that you can make, in order to you on track of your fitness regimen.
Romaine (Lettuce) Salad With Walnuts And Beets
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 clove garlic minced
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
8 cups torn romaine leaves
1/2 cup slivered red onion
1/2 cup coarsely chopped and toasted walnuts
1 package baby beets, cooked, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
In a large bowl whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
1. In a large bowl add lettuce, onion and half the walnuts. Add the vinaigrette and toss well to coat.
2. Transfer to 4 large salad plates. Top with beets, parmesan cheese and remaining walnuts. Season with additional pepper, if desired.
Apple, Feta And Walnuts Salad
50 g iceberg
60 g arugula
15 g roasted walnuts
30 g feta cheese
8 g olives
50 g green apple
30 g sundried tomato dressing
3 ml lemon
For Sundried Tomato Dressing
15 ml olive oil
30 g sundried tomato
7 g garlic
2 g basil
5 g honey
10 ml red wine vinegar
2 g crushed pepper
2 g salt
1 bay leaf
1. For the dressing- In a pan add bay leaf, olive oil, garlic, and heat it on low flame to infuse the flavours into the oil. Take off the heat and keep aside.
2. Then in a food processor, blend the rest of the ingredients except bay leaf till it is coarsely ground. Take out in a bowl and add the flavoured oil into it.
3. Now in another bowl add the dressing, lemon juice and the salad leaves. Take it out in a plate and then garnish with feta cheese, olive, walnuts and sliced green apple.
4. Serve cold
Refreshing Waldorf Salad With Walnuts
1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt or 1/3 cup non-fat Greek-style yogurt
1/2 cup California walnuts
2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, preferably made with canola oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey
1 cup chopped celery
2 medium apples, chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C.
2. If using regular yogurt instead of Greek-style yogurt, place in a strainer lined with a paper towel. Put the strainer over a bowl and place in the refrigerator to drain and thicken for 20 minutes.
3. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8-9 minutes. Set aside to cool; then chop coarsely.
4. In a small bowl, combine the thickened or Greek-style yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and honey until smooth.
5. In a medium-sized bowl, toss together the toasted walnuts, celery, and apples. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.