Commendable rise in blood donors in Hyderabad
Millions of people are saved by transfusion blood every year, as the unpaid blood donors voluntarily come up to donate blood to the needy.
Hyderabad: Millions of people are saved by transfusion blood every year, as the unpaid blood donors voluntarily come up to donate blood to the needy.
- 10,523 units of blood collected from the city last year
- Donors number about 10,000 in twin cities at present
According to Additional District Health Medical Officer (AIDS and Leprosy), Hyderabad, Nirmala Prabhavathy said, "10,523 units of blood were collected from the city during 2018-19. The number of blood donors in the city has increased to around 10,000. Last year, there were 7,165 donors."
"A few years ago, we used to struggle to collect even 100 units of blood in an entire day but now we usually collect 176-200 units of blood in a day and we receive around 25-30 donors in a day and recipients are 30-35 in a day. Also 200-300 units of blood is sent out for recipients from our bank, says Dr Devendra Nath, medical officer, Chiranjeevi Eye and Blood Bank.
Benefits of blood donation
- The best part is that the entire volume a donor donates is regenerated by the body in a matter of 72 hour
- It's good for the heart
- Blood donation improves the overall cardiovascular health
- Reduces the chance of heart attacks
- Lowers the risk of strokes
- Replenishes your blood cells
- Improves excretion of iron
The theme for World blood donor day
Safe blood for all. World Blood Donor Day is observed across the world to raise awareness of safe blood and blood products and to thank blood donors for their life-saving gifts.
What temperatures to maintain?
Blood is stored at 4 °c validity period of 35 days. Blood platelets are stored at a validity period of 5 days
Guidelines for blood donation
- The donor must be 18 -60 years of age and having a minimum weight of 50Kg
- A donor can again donate blood after 3 months of your last donation of blood.
- Pulse rate must be between 50 to 100mm without any irregularities.