Secunderabad, Kacheguda railway stations to be eco smart
The South Central Railway (SCR) has always been at the forefront in implementation of Green initiatives and fulfillment of Green Standards. Recently, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed Indian Railways to identify 36 stations which are to be developed as ‘Eco-Smart stations’.
Hyderabad: The South Central Railway (SCR) has always been at the forefront in implementation of Green initiatives and fulfillment of Green Standards. Recently, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed Indian Railways to identify 36 stations which are to be developed as 'Eco-Smart stations'. These stations have to achieve environment standard 'ISO-14001' laid down by BIS in the form of environment management system.
In pursuant to this, an action plan was put down by Railway Board and instructed all zonal railways to implement environmental measures at all stations and in particular 5% of the major stations i.e., 36 stations have to be identified and developed as 'Eco- Smart Stations'.
Accordingly, South Central Railway, Northern Railway, North Western Railway & Southern Railway had to identify 3 stations each and remaining Zonal Railways to identify 2 stations each in their respective jurisdictions to meet the above green environment standards and conform to the same within targeted time.
In this direction, South Central Railway has already identified Secunderabad, Kacheguda and Vijayawada to be developed as Eco-Smart stations. In this regard it may be noted that as SCR has always been proactively taking green initiatives for station development, all the identified three stations are in recipient of the coveted Green- Co ratings from Indian Green Building council and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII- IGBC).
Secunderabad Station, categorised as NSG-1 (Non-Suburban Grade-1), has earned the distinction of being the 1st railway station to be certified as "Green Railway Station" on Indian Railways to get the recognition of "Platinum Rating Certification" the highest rating available in this category from CII-IGBC during October 2017. SC station was ranked 6th out of 75 A1 category stations in IR in the third-party audit conducted in the year 2018 by Quality Council of India (QCI) taking feedback on various parameters from stake holders.
Kacheguda Railway Station, categorised as NSG-2, has been certified as "Green Railway Station" with "Gold Rating" from CII-IGBC during October 2018. KCG station was ranked 14th out of 75 A1 category stations in IR in the third party audit conducted in the year by Quality Council of India (QCI) taking feedback on various parameters from stake holders.
Vijayawada Railway Station, categorized as NSG-2 , has been certified as "Green Railway Station" with "Gold Rating" from CII-IGBC recently i.e., in the current month , March 2019. BZA station was ranked 4th out of 75 A1 category stations in IR in the third party audit conducted in the year 2018 by Quality Council of India (QCI) taking feedback on various parameters from stake holders.
All the three stations viz., Secunderabad, Kacheguda and Vijayawada are maintaining the above modules as per the environmental standards.
The NGT has laid down certain norms for achieving environment standard 'ISO- 14001' by BIS for selected railway stations within a specific period of time. As per these norms, among others, the 3 stations have to achieve compliance of 10 major parameters with respect to 'ISO-14001' certification. In this regard also, SCR is well placed as the 3 stations are already in advanced stage of fulfilling all the requirements as detailed below-
In view of the aforementioned environment-friendly initiatives, the process has been initiated in order to attain prestigious environmental standard "ISO- 14001" certification, as directed by National Green Tribunal for the above 3 stations viz., Secunderabad, Kacheguda and Vijayawada. It is targeted to obtain the same by the end of September.
Maintaining Cleanliness at stations
- Mechanized cleaning is being implemented at stations and in coaches by outsourcing and continuously monitored by railway supervisors
- Awareness announcements are being done regularly.
- Regular attendance of cleanliness staff is ensured.
- Segregation of waste into bio-degradable and non-bio- degradable dustbins etc is being done.
- Pest and rodent control is done at stations and in trains
- Cleanliness monitoring is done through CCTVs.
Disposal of Solid waste
- Collection of waste in Two Bin system is implemented by collecting wet and dry waste separately in color coded dustbins ensuring segregation of waste at source level itself
- Bio-degradable poly covers for dustbins have been provided.
- Segregated waste is being moved to centralized dumping points
- Sanitary pad dispensing and incinerators are provided at all these three stations ladies waiting halls.
- Final disposal/recycling are done by Municipal authorities.
Pet Bottle shredders
- PET bottle crusher machines are provided at these stations to eliminate reuse/improper disposal of plastic bottles.
- 12 such machines are installed at Secunderabad, 4 at Kacheguda and 2 at Vijayawada stations.
Anti Littering activities
- Regular announcements are made through passenger announcement system for educating and increasing awareness regarding cleanliness
- Penalties are levied for offenders
- Anti littering drives are regularly organized
- Anti littering boards and posters exhibited at various locations at these stations.
- Rain Water Harvesting Pits are constructed
- Water treatment activities are undertaken regularly.
- Water recycling plants of 5 lakh liters at Secunderabad and 1.5lakh liters at Kacheguda are installed.
- Recycled water is used for cleaning of tracks, aprons and coaches.
- Water samples are regularly tested for bacterial and chemical analysis to see that the portable water is supplied.
Avoiding defecation along railway tracks
- Sufficient number of Public toilets are constructed at stations and circulating area.
- Regular monitoring is being done to avoid open defecation along railway tracks.
- In addition, Green Toilets are provided at Kacheguda on 4 platforms.
Afforesting and Plantation
- Huge circulating area is developed with greenery on both sides at Secunderabad station. 408 trees are maintained at this station.
- Plantation and developing greenery at all these stations is taken care by engineering department.
- Special care and plantation drives are being undertaken during monsoon season every year.
Comments of public through online mechanism
- Public can lodge complaints and give suggestions on the station cleaning through SCR official website and also through SMS.
- All grievances and suggestions are received through various electronic, social media applications like CPGRAMS, RPGRAMS, COMS and Rail MADAD, Twitter App etc.
- Efforts are on hand to open exclusive website for each of these stations.
Removal of encroachments
- All the encroachments have been removed
- Regular monitoring mechanism has been put in place for avoiding encroachments.
- Encroachments to a tune of about 3.5 acres at Kacheguda and 1.2 acres at Secunderabad are removed.