- PKL 10: Tamil Thalaivas face Dabang Delhi challenge; Gujarat Giants up against Bengaluru Bulls
- Finland showcases climate solutions at COP28
- State must side with the weaker population: CJI DY Chandrachud
- PIL filed against 75% reservation at BJP's behest: Tejashwi Yadav
- Days after Silkyara tunnel rescue op, U'khand CM calls on PM, discusses several projects
- India's energy requirement set to double by end of this decade: Mukesh Ambani
- No property tax for rural residential areas in Delhi: MCD Mayor
- Sharad Pawar’s pearls of political wisdom - 'NCP deserters are doomed'
- Western India Squash: National champion Anahat Singh given top seeding in women's singles, girls' U19 sections
- BJP damaged reputation of central agencies: Congress on arrest of ED official in TN
New Covid variant found in UK
16 cases detected so far
London: Public Health England has recently identified a new strain of coronavirus which is now being investigated after 16 confirmed cases have been found in the United Kingdom.
This has been designated as a variant under investigation. The variant is known as B.1.621.
The authorities have clarified that not much has been known about this variant and there is no evidence to suggest that it might make vaccines less effective or lead to more severe illness so that the new strain does not spread fears among people.
The B.1.621 variant of SARS-CoV-2 might be a new variant in the United Kingdom, but this is not new in the world, In January, the variant was first identified in Colombia.
"Most of the cases have been linked to overseas travel and there is currently no evidence of community transmission in the UK," the Independent reported.
The Covid-19 situation in the United Kingdom worsened in the last few weeks which has been attributed to the Delta variant of the virus.
Despite the surge in the cases, Covid-19 restrictions were lifted in the UK this week. On Saturday, Britain reported 31,794 coronavirus cases.