Beating all odds
Srilekha Mandapalli, who was born with ‘Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita’, (A rare disease in which both limbs are paralysed) showcased her works at Hyderabad Literature Festival.
Srilekha Mandapalli, who was born with ‘Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita’, (A rare disease in which both limbs are paralysed) showcased her works at Hyderabad Literature Festival. Her disability did not deter her from pursuing her passion. She holds the brush between her teeth and paints. And one cannot say that a person without hands has painted such beautiful works. Srilekha who was painting at the Fest became cynosure of eyes. People were in awe with her talent.
Srilekha started painting in 2007 and became a member of Indian Mouth and Foot Painting Artists Association in 2013. “My mother was a fabric painter and I learnt that from her. I love painting. I wanted to prove that despite my disability I am capable of doing things. Before painting I chose music but sadly that did not work out. I learned painting from Siri Institute of Painting in Hyderabad,” she recalls.
It is not a cakewalk to paint with your mouth. She faced many obstacles before mastering the art. “I had a lot of pain when I was doing my first painting. I had to paint from a meager distance of eight centimeters from the canvas and due to that I had a severe back pain. As the adage goes “No pain, no gain” I overcame all my problems and pursued my passion and did not quit it in midway.” Srilekha was bestowed with ‘Naveena Mahila Award’ and she also delivers talks in motivational classes for IT employees.
By V Sateesh Reddy
- Madras High Court refuses to quash charges against Dayanidhi Maran, others in telephone exchange case
- Social media firms to act against paid adverts violating Election Commission norms: IAMAI
- BJP ministers organise Holika Dahan, say it symbolises burning of evil of 'corruption of Congress, AAP'
- No deadlock in Mahagathbandhan over seats: Tejashwi
- Activist Gauri Sawant appointed as first transwoman Election Commission ambassador