High Level Canal modernisation gathers pace

High Level Canal modernisation gathers pace
x
Highlights

The Tungabhadra High Level Canal HLC modernisation project is all set for completion by the end of 2019

Anantapur: The Tungabhadra High Level Canal (HLC) modernisation project is all set for completion by the end of 2019. Engineers of AP and Karnataka are engaged in the modernisation works on both sides. Modernisation through the HLC canal works which had been stopped due to flow of Tungabhadra water will be resumed in early March, according to HLC sources.

The works involved strengthening of canal bunds and widening of them, arresting seepage of water, de-silting of the canal and other related works. The modernisation project involves execution of six packages worth Rs 250 crore.

The project's HLC modernisation works will benefit the farmers in Karnataka, Anantapur, Kadapa and Kurnool. The major benefit of the modernisation works include an increased intake of inflows from 2,800 cusecs to 4,200 cusecs. During floods, due to canal widening it can contain more water and increases intake by another 4-5 tmc ft of water apart from bringing down seepage losses by 20 per cent.

In the past, water released from the Tungabhadra dam used to take three days to arrive in AP whereas after completion of modernisation works, the water would reach within 24 hours to AP side. The modernisation of the canal would help in preventing seepage losses up to 10 tmc ft of water which is very precious to a district like Anantapur.

HLC superintendent engineer M Surendra Reddy told The Hans India that presently the on-going modernisation works include Guntakal Branch Canal(GBC) modernisation, the Mid-Pennar South Canal (MPSC) modernisation and the High Level Main Canal (HLMC) apart from the Flood Flow Canal modernisation. These works would be completed by the middle of 2019.

Similarly, on the Karnataka side, the Tungabhadra Board had initiated modernisation works from 0 to 105 km long HLC canal on its side. Already, 60 per cent works had been completed. They are expected to complete the remaining 40 per cent by the end of 2019. By the year 2020, the entire canal modernisation project would be completed.

The project is aimed at modernising the canal systems through which the allocated water for AP state to the tune of 32.5 tmc ft was supposed to traverse a 100-km from Karnataka to reach AP border.

The modernisation works became necessary due to decline in water flows from the allocated 32.5 tmc ft to 22 to 26 tmc ft and also due to reduction in reservoir intake capacity from 132 tmc ft to 100 tmc ft at the Tungabhadra dam in Karnataka.

The bridges works’ at Yerraguntla, Untakallu, Neemakallu, Kottapalle and Rayanapalle too are making progress. Of the 15 branch canals. except 1 and 9, the rest are on the verge of completion.

Show Full Article
Print Article
Interested in blogging for thehansindia.com? We will be happy to have you on board as a blogger.
Next Story
More Stories