Top 10 negative effects of Facebook on teens
Young teenagers spend a lot of time in browsing the network, particularly, the Facebook, as they find it the best form of communication mode The most popular mode of networking is, undoubtedly, the Facebook apart from Twitter It is fun to use Facebook and Twitter, but there are negative influences if one spends too much time on them
Young teenagers spend a lot of time in browsing the network, particularly, the Facebook, as they find it the best form of communication mode. The most popular mode of networking is, undoubtedly, the Facebook apart from Twitter. It is fun to use Facebook and Twitter, but there are negative influences if one spends too much time on them.
Social media is becoming popular and even official communication is carried out on them as well as personal. Yet, over usage of any media does have its impact, both positive and negative. Before observing the negative effects of Facebook, let us have cursory look at the positive effects of Facebook.
Positive effects of Facebook:
1. Improvements in moods: As one is able to communicate with far-off friends. By being in touch with friends one feels good. Mood uplifts and one feels close to one’s loved ones
2. Shyness goes away: Many teenagers go through a phase when they do not want to interact with others. Browsing on Facebook helps them communicate with others without interaction. Perhaps, the interaction can be after a relationship has developed so that the comfort levels are high when one meets each other. It is a good forum for shy children to socialize
3. Permits one to develop self-identity: Facebook is a ground for face-to-face communication which improves self-identity. One can improves one’s communication skill and also relate better to people
10 Negative effects of Facebook on Teens
1. Isolation: One can suffer from isolation as one will tend to be glued to the computer and move out of the house and meet people. Normal socializing that is interacting with people is also essential. A shy child might prefer to communicate only through Facebook only and otherwise
2. Putting on weight: One may put on weight also as one will sit in front of the computer for a long time and eat. Naturally, one will not have many exercises and they will suffer from obesity
3. Abnormal symptoms: Surfing Facebook does show abnormal symptoms among many teenagers such as depression, excessive aggression, abnormal anxiety or even normal anxiety. Those suffering from social anxiety tend to immerse themselves in front of Facebook. Teenagers usual have emotional problems and are very conscious of their self-image, their bodies, and their looks. If socially, they feel inferior they tend to avoid social interactions. Obviously, they would like to spend hours sitting writing for the Facebook
4. Bad for the eyes: Too much exposure to the computer is bad for the eyes. Teenagers must go out and spend time in outdoor activities and relish the fresh air, rather than remain glued to the computer
5. Communication with strangers: On Facebook communication, it is possible that one might end up building up relationships with strangers, who can turn out to be criminals as well. Teenagers are vulnerable and are easily susceptible to outside influences. Their lifestyles are changing and want to build up relationships with people who are very hi-fi in their outlook. In this process, they try to communicate with strangers who perhaps can be very harmful to them
6. Lacks emotional connection: There is lack of emotional connectivity since one does not meet the other person. Feelings, when shared in person, have more impact than on Facebook. The feelings of care and warmth are there when the communication is face to face. There is a decrease in face-to-face communication. Face-to-face communication helps better messaging
7. Promotes laziness: Sitting in front of the computer and browsing through Facebook can lead to laziness. It is a sheer waste of time
8. Causes distractions: Browsing Facebook does distract one’s mind from many other activities. One can be involved in constructive activities that keeps one’s mind healthy. Merely spending hours on Facebook and conversing via it is not healthy
9. Lack of body language communication: Body language conveys a lot. In Facebook browsing, there is nobody language communication as one does not interact with another person
10. Unhealthy sex approach: On Facebook one tends to communicate on unhealthy sexual practices. There is no healthy sexual interaction as one is not meeting each other physically. Merely communicating via Facebook can prove to be detrimental to one’s overall self-image and also to mental growth. Perverted practices can be discussed or the person on the other side may be a pervert and wants to communicate sexually. Later on he or she may take undue advantage of the person’s weaknesses and try to meet the person
It is but natural that Facebook can have a positive effect as well as negative effect. Definitely, one must be careful of the negative impact of Facebook.