ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Minister orders tough measures against illegal mining activity in Vikarabad

Minister orders tough measures against illegal mining activity in Vikarabad
Highlights

Transport Minister P Mahender Reddy ordered tough measures to be taken immediately against illegal mining activity in Vikarabad district Addressing a review meeting in the Secretariat on Saturday on Vikarabad Mineral Development Trust, he stated that complaints of illegal mining in sand and other minerals were received from many villages in Nawabpet, Dharoor, Yalal and Parigi areas

Vikarabad: Transport Minister P Mahender Reddy ordered tough measures to be taken immediately against illegal mining activity in Vikarabad district. Addressing a review meeting in the Secretariat on Saturday on Vikarabad Mineral Development Trust, he stated that complaints of illegal mining in sand and other minerals were received from many villages in Nawabpet, Dharoor, Yalal and Parigi areas. This was resulting in loss of revenue to the government and damage to the environment, besides roads.

Reddy directed officials to keep a watch on and to take strong action against those holding permits resorting to illegal mining after the laps of permits, taking up mining in other areas and covering more than the permitted areas. He said the Mining department vehicles would be provided with GPS facility.Special check-posts were being set up in the mining areas,with CC cameras in three main and three other checkposts at a cost of Rs 48 lakh.

The minister pointed out that roads of 150 km in district suffered heavy damage on account of mining. The roads would require Rs 35 crore for repairs, while the government was securing Rs 47.81 crore as revenue from minies. He suggested that 30 per cent of this amount should be allotted on a priority basis to villages affected by mining, while the rest 70 per cent to other areas. He directed that the Haritha Haram programme should be given priority in mining and their adjoining areas. Reddy instructed officials to immediately allot sand for government works/construction, CC roads, buildings. He approved proposals costing Rs 2.5 crore of the mining funds for constructing auditoria in district centre or on government lands.

The minister and people's representatives agreed to a proposal by the Collector Syed Omar Jaleel to make available in advance Rs 3 crore for creating ODF villages. Jaleel told the meeting that GPS facility had been installed in 40 tractors and other vehicles. He suggested to MPs and legislators to submit proposals and allocate funds to income-generation mining activities in their constituencies.He sought Rs 2 crore to the Haritha Haram scheme to be given priority in mining and their adjoining areas. The DC stated that efforts would be made to plant teak and other valrieties. He annouced setting up of two each dumping yards in Tandur, Bashirabad and Peddamul areas.

Assistant Director of Mines Ravikumar told the meeting that 125 mining licences for renewal were being cancelled. Member of Parliament Vishveshwar Reddy wanted the government to provide mining funds to all areas in the district. He wanted the administration to permit construction of latrines in educational institutions as the working of bio-toilets was not proper. Following his proposal the minister directed officials to allocate special funds for the latrines.

Legislator Yadayya alleged that illegal mining activity was on between Ekmamidi and Maithapkhanguda in Nawabpetmandal. He sought strong action against those involved in this activity. The MLA pleaded for permission of collecting Musisand for taking up small works by residents of adjoing areas. MLA SanjivaRao made several proposals seeking mining funds in Vikarabad constituency. He expressed ire at‘harassment’ of the Forest department officials.Among those present at the meeting were MLAs Yadayya, SanjivaRao, Rammohan Reddy, MP VishveshwarReddy, JCSandhya Rani, DRDA PD Johnson, CPO Dasarath, and officials of BC, SC, ST and Minority Welfare departments.

BY E Mogulaiah

Show Full Article
Download The Hans India Android App or iOS App for the Latest update on your phone.
Subscribed Failed...
Subscribed Successfully...
More Stories


Top