- DMK leader Elangovan accuses BJP of playing politics over Cauvery issue
- Congress slams PM Modi for promising now to set up a tribal university in Telangana
- Asian Games: Nandini Agasara claims bronze in women's Heptathlon
- 13 killed in Spain nightclub fire, 15 more missing
- Raj Bhavan-Bengal govt tiff set to aggravate as Guv appoints 6 more interm V-Cs
- Himachal govt to set up commando force: CM Sukhu
- Doctor passengers help baby suffering from severe breathing crisis on flight
- Number of students in Delhi govt schools decreases by over 30,000: RTI reply
- US condemns China for imposing life sentence on Uyghur academic
- Lorry owners strike - makes no headway
Over 50 feared dead in a train accident near Amritsar
Over 50 people are feared dead in a train accident which happened near Amritsar on Friday
Over 50 people are feared dead in a train accident which happened near Amritsar on Friday. The incident took place at Joda Fatak where Dusshera celebrations were underway. The accident occurred at a level crossing gate which was closed, Railways has said.
Over a thousand people had gathered in the area to witness the burning of Ravana effigies, reports suggest that people started running on the sound of crackers and failed to hear the incoming train whistle. Rescue operations have been launched and efforts are underway to save people from the debris. The accident happened at gate no. 27 between Amritsar and Manawala. As Dussehra celebration were underway people started rushing towards closed gate number 27 while a DMU train number 74943 was passing through, according to CPRO Northern Railway .