- Digital vocational skilling can make youths workplace ready
- How to improve English vocabulary?
- AJIO announces Big Bold Sale
- Fastest-charging EV hits Indian market
- TEDx Hyderabad’s 9th edition slated to be held on Sept 17
- New Delhi: 'Wrestlers will not be allowed at India Gate'
- Not a cakewalk for NATO in Southeast Asia
- Did life evolve more than once?
- Imphal: Amit Shah holds talks with Manipur civil society leaders
- MyVoice: Views of our readers 31st May 2023
Rahim creates Bangla history with double ton
Galle (AFP): Mushfiqur Rahim on Monday became the first Bangladeshi to crack a double-century while Nasir Hossain hit a maiden ton as the tourists...
Galle (AFP): Mushfiqur Rahim on Monday became the first Bangladeshi to crack a double-century while Nasir Hossain hit a maiden ton as the tourists gained a 68-run lead in the first Test against Sri Lanka. Skipper Rahim hit a solid 200 and Hossain an impressive 100 as Bangladesh were bowled out for 638, their highest total in 76 Tests, in reply to Sri Lanka's first-innings total of 570-4 declared. The hosts reached 116-1 in their second innings at stumps on the penultimate day of the Test heading for a draw in Galle. Opener Tillakaratne Dilshan was unbeaten on 63 and Kumar Sangakkara 49 not out. Rahim's memorable moment came in the second over after lunch when he pushed paceman Nuwan Kulasekara for a single to the covers on a day when Mohammad Ashraful (190) missed out on his own Test double-hundred. Wicketkeeper-batsman Rahim, 24, was trapped leg-before by Kulasekara in the same over, but not before helping Bangladesh surpass their previous highest Test total of 556 against the West Indies in Dhaka last year. Bangladesh, who dominated the match for a second successive day with their solid batting, also became only the third team after India and Pakistan to score 600 or more in a Test innings in Sri Lanka. Brief Scores: Sri Lanka first innings 570/4 dcl; Bangladesh first innings 638 (M Rahim 200; M Ashraful 190, T Dilshan 2/75); Sri Lanka second innings 116/1 (T Dilshan 63 not out).