- Randeep Hooda’s ‘Swatantrya Veer Savarkar’ Teaser Is Out…
- The 12th edition of the Hyderabad Marathon August 27th this year
- TDP Mahanadu: Chandrababu releases manifesto under the name Bhavishyat ki Guarantee
- Chandrababu Naidu arrives at TDP Mahanadu public meeting, to address the gathering
- TDP Mahanadu: All set for huge public meeting, Naidu to arrive at venue shortly
- Shaakuntalam Bags A Total Of 4 Awards At Prestigious Cannes World Film Festival Awards 2023
- Kodali Nani pays tribute to NTR, challenges Naidu, Lokesh to contest from Gannavaram
- Rajinikanth, Anupam Kher And SRK Praise PM Modi On The Occasion Of New Parliament Inauguration
- Modi pays tribute to NTR at 101st Mann ki Baat, says he earned place in hearts of people
- Sharwanand Drops A Tweet And Confirms That He Met With A Minor Car Accident
US OPEN : Three Indians progress
Leander Paes, Sania Mirza and Divij Sharan advanced to the second round of the US Open in their respective matches at the Flushing Meadows. However, it was the end of the road for Mahesh Bhupathi in the men’s doubles as he lost his opening round encounter. Partnering German Philipp Petzschner on Court 9, the Indian lost to experienced Canadian duo Daniel Nestor and Vasek Pospisil 3-6, 6-7(4).
New York (IANS): Leander Paes, Sania Mirza and Divij Sharan advanced to the second round of the US Open in their respective matches at the Flushing Meadows. However, it was the end of the road for Mahesh Bhupathi in the men’s doubles as he lost his opening round encounter. Partnering German Philipp Petzschner on Court 9, the Indian lost to experienced Canadian duo Daniel Nestor and Vasek Pospisil 3-6, 6-7(4).
Elsewhere on Court 16, Sania with her Chinese partner Zheng Jie made a winning start in the women’s doubles as they dispatched German Annika Beck and Puerto Rican Monica Puig in straight sets, winning 6-2, 6-2 at the USTA National Tennis Center. The 10th seeds next play the Hungarian-American combine of Katalin Marosi and Megan Moulton-Levy. Veteran star Paes also opened his campaign with a win along with Czech Radek Stepanek and overcame Finnish-Russian pair Jarkko Nieminen and Dmitry Tursunov 6-4, 7-6(4) in a tough first round match on Court 10. The fourth seeds next play German-Austro duo Daniel Brands and Philipp Oswald.
Meanwhile, youngster Sharan also started his Grand Slam campaign in style. The Indian partnered Chinese Taipei’s Yen-Hsun Lu to defeat Dutch players Robin Haase and Igor Sijsling 6-1, 7-5 on Court 15. The victorious combination will face the experienced Israeli pair of Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram in the second round.
Errani, Duval out
In the biggest upset of the day in which four seeds fell by the wayside, fourth seeded Italian Sara Errani crashed out of the women singles when she was thrashed by compatriot Flavia Pennetta in straight sets with a 3-6, 1-6 drubbing.
Victoria Duval, the teenaged American who had captured the hearts of New York with her feats both on and off the court, was knocked out in straight sets in a brutal reminder of how far she still has to go to reach the top. Her run ended almost as soon as it began when she was beaten 2-6, 3-6 by Daniela Hantuchova on an outside court. It was a quick lesson in the reality of professional tennis.