Fish Wrapped in Banana Leaf: Bengali Betki Fish Paturi Recipe
Quest for delicious Bengali? Seek to savor this Bengali Bhetki Macher Paturi Recipe (Barramundi Fish Wrapped in Banana Leaf) and plain steamed rice...
Quest for delicious Bengali? Seek to savor this Bengali Bhetki Macher Paturi Recipe (Barramundi Fish Wrapped in Banana Leaf) and plain steamed rice together.
- 4 Bhetki fish, fillets cut to 4*2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup Fresh coconut, grated, plus more to garnish
- 7 Green Chillies, slit
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 Banana leaf, cut into 10*8 rectangles
- 2 tablespoon mustard oil
- salt as required
System 1. To start making Bengali Bhetki Macher Paturi Recipe (Barramundi Fish Wrapped in Banana Leaf), mix the pieces of fish into a bowl with half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and salt.
2. Make a paste of mustard seeds, poppy seeds and green chillies in a mixer grinder with adding a little water.
3. Take a cup of dried coconut. Remove the paste of mustard seeds, some salt to taste, and remaining turmeric powder. Mix with a fork, and make a fine mixture.
4. Cover and hold in the refrigerator for an hour.
5. Remove the fish from the refrigerator and whisk in a tablespoon of mustard oil.
6. Whisk gently, warm up the banana leaves for 30 seconds over an open flame, make sure it isn't burnt.
7. Put banana on top of a plate leaving bits shiny, rub a little bit of mustard oil on it. Now spread a teaspoon of marinated paste in the center of the banana leaf, put one piece of fish on the paste and put another teaspoon of paste on top of the piece of fish so as to cover the piece of fish with the paste from both sides and then place a green chili on top.
8. Fold the banana leaf to make it a square parcel and attach with thread that will not open the parcels during cooking. Repeat the process on all pieces of fish.
9. Now take a non-stick saucepan and grate some oil and place the banana leaf-wrapped pieces of fish on it (you can put 4-5 pieces at a time, depending on the size).
Cover the pan with a heavy lid and cook at medium heat for 8-9 minutes each side over medium heat.
10. When finishing one batch, remove them and put them in a casserole to keep the paturi dry. Follow the same cycle again for cooking the rest of the macher paturi.