- Kurnool: New sub-stations will ensure quality power supply
- Gold rate in Visakhapatnam today stable, check the rates on November 29, 2023
- YS Jagan lauds rescuers for saving workers trapped in Silkyara tunnel in Uttarkashi
- TRS, Congress changed names not their games, charges Eknath Shinde
- PL Stock Report: Jindal Stainless (JDSL IN) - Visit Update – Focus on improving efficiencies & volumes - Downgrade to 'Accumulate'
- SCR to restore few trains
- PL Stock Report: Siemens (SIEM IN) - Q4SY23 Result Update – Healthy Q4; planned Capex amid strong demand - Accumulate
- PL Technicals Daily Morning Report - Nov 29
- Karnataka Government approves 62 investment projects worth Rs 3,607 crore
- Hockey Women’s Jr World Cup 2023: India geared up to face Canada in opener
Extension of detention of Mehbooba Mufti under PSA an abuse of law: P Chidambaram
The extension of the detention of former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mehbooba Mufti under the Public Safety Act (PSA) is an abuse of law and an assault on the Constitutional rights guaranteed to every citizen, Congress leader P Chidambaram said on Saturday.
NEW DELHI: The extension of the detention of former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mehbooba Mufti under the Public Safety Act (PSA) is an abuse of law and an assault on the Constitutional rights guaranteed to every citizen, Congress leader P Chidambaram said on Saturday.
"How is the 61-year-old former chief minister, a protected person under security guard round the clock, a threat to public safety? She rightly rejected the offer to release her on conditions that any self-respecting political leader would refuse. One of the reasons given for her detention -- the colour of her party's flag -- was laughable," Chidambaram tweeted.
"Why should she undertake not to speak against the abrogation of Article 370? Is it not part of the right to free speech? I am one of the counsels appearing in a case in the Supreme Court challenging the abrogation of Article 370. If I speak against Article 370 -- as I must -- is that a threat to public safety? We must collectively raise our voices and demand "FREE MEHBOOBA MUFTI IMMEDIATELY"," he added.
Mufti's detention under PSA was extended by three months on Friday.
Mufti and many other leaders of Kashmir, including Farooq Abdullah, were put in detention following the abrogation of Article 370 of the Indian Constitution that accorded special status to the erstwhile state.
Earlier, the former J-K CM's detention was extended on May 5 for three months.