ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Javed Akhtar calls shelving of Australian award function unacceptable

Javed Akhtar calls shelving of Australian award function unacceptable
Highlights

Veteran writer-lyricist Javed Akhtar expressed dissent over the cancellation of the first edition of the Indian Film Festival and Awards of Australia (IFFAA) due to terror threats. He says it is unacceptable and outrageous.

Veteran writer-lyricist Javed Akhtar expressed dissent over the cancellation of the first edition of the Indian Film Festival and Awards of Australia (IFFAA) due to terror threats. He says it is unacceptable and outrageous.

"The trip to Australia for an award function is unanimously cancelled by the film industry. What has happened is unacceptable and outrageous," Akhtar tweeted on Monday morning.

The event, which was due to take place from May 7-13, would have had Indian celebrities like Sonu Sood, Hariharan, Dharmendra, Jeetendra and Ileana D'Cruz apart from Akhtar participating, along with Pakistani and Nepali artistes.

According to the event's chief organiser Vikas Paul, they had been receiving a lot of threats from "vested interests who are not keen to see this talent come to Australia and for this event to go ahead".

Show Full Article
Download The Hans India Android App or iOS App for the Latest update on your phone.
Subscribed Failed...
Subscribed Successfully...
More Stories


Top