- Other states following Assam's cancer care model: Himanta Biswa Sarma
- IAF C-130J makes safe landing at Begumpet airport after technical snag
- Nirmala Sitharaman launches Rs 1,000 cr worth infra projects
- Arun Singh Dhumal welcomes England team with 'perfect conditions' at HPCA
- Hindu teacher acquitted in blasphemy case after five years in Pakistan
- 10 Manipur tribal MLAs urge Centre not to cancel 'Suspension of Operations' pact with Kuki militant outfits
- Financial Intelligence Unit slaps Rs 5.49 cr penalty on Paytm Payments Bank
- I want to quit as Trinamool spokesman, but continue as party soldier: Kunal Ghosh
- ‘Inti No 13’ review: Distinctive narrative approach
- Delhi excise policy matter: Court permits YSRCP MP's son Raghav Magunta to turn approver in CBI's case
World Sparrow Day celebrated in Khammam
To create awareness about importance of sparrows in the ecosystem, the management and students of the Resonance High School celebrated ‘World Sparrow Day’ on Tuesday on school premises in Khammam.
Khammam: To create awareness about importance of sparrows in the ecosystem, the management and students of the Resonance High School celebrated ‘World Sparrow Day’ on Tuesday on school premises in Khammam.
Attending as chief guest to the celebrations, P Prashanti, a bird researcher, informed that sparrows were in the list of endangered species and they needed to be protected from extinction. She added that Nature Forever Society, an NGO, started a worldwide campaign from 2009 and has been celebrating ‘World Sparrow Day’ every year on March 21 since then.
Though there were many sparrows few years ago, their numbers have been dwindling fast due urbanisation, excess use of pesticides and insecticides besides radiations emitted from cell towers. Habitat loss is the major reason for their falling numbers, she reasoned.
“It is our responsibility to protect such species, and students must develop interest towards conserving the habitats of such species besides providing them nourishment,” she advised. Directors of the school R V Nagendra Kumar, K Sridhar Rao, Neelima, School Principal, staff and students took part in the celebrations.