- Sonia elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha
- Cabinet expansion likely after LS polls
- Congress faces tough task to pick LS nominees
- SC overturns Chandigarh mayoral poll result
- RRR (south) gets Centre’s nod
- India's longest transportation tunnel opens in Jammu
- Vijayawada: Malaysia education fair launched
- Kashmir to rival Switzerland: PM
- Days of exploitation & dynastic rule over: PM
- Rajamahendravaram: AKNU gets Rs 20 cr under PM-USHA
I suggested Sonia to get Rahul married to Brahmin girl: TDP MP
Telugu Desam Party TDP MP JC Diwakar Reddy has said that he had once suggested United Progressive Alliance UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi to get her son and Congress chief Rahul Gandhi married to a Brahmin girl, so that Rahul can become the prime minister
Vizag (Andhra Pradesh) : Telugu Desam Party (TDP) MP JC Diwakar Reddy has said that he had once suggested United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi to get her son and Congress chief Rahul Gandhi 'married to a Brahmin girl', so that Rahul can become the prime minister.
Addressing a public gathering, Reddy said on July 4 that since Rahul needed the support of Brahmins in Uttar Pradesh, he should get married to a 'good Brahmin girl'.
In the context of Rahul's elevation as prime minister, Reddy said, "When I was in the Congress I suggested to Sonia Gandhi that if Rahul wants to be the prime minister in 2014, he needs support of UP Brahmins. The Brahmin community is ruling in UP. That is why I suggested to her that get Rahul married to a good Brahmin girl. But Sonia Gandhi didn't listen to me," Reddy said.
Reddy, who won from Anantpur parliamentary seat, has been six times MLA on a Congress party ticket but later joined the TDP ahead of the General Elections in 2014.