- Your Ultimate Guide to the Perfect Pongal Look
- With unsecured personal loans under lens, growth momentum in the segment to derail in coming quarters
- Andhra CM Jagan takes poll battle to Chandrababu Naidu's home turf - Kuppam
- India seeks greater say for developing countries at WTO meet
- It was a joy to be a part of a lyrical, poetic, and deeply romantic story: Shahbaz Khan
- Samsung’s Most Intelligent PC Lineup Galaxy Book4 Series Goes on Sale in India
- KIUG 2023: Sambalpur’s Sujata Kujur hopes to make it to Indian women’s hockey team
- VESCOA Partner with ISRO, signed MoU with ASSOCHAM to Advance Collaborative Initiatives
- FM Sitharaman stresses on compliance of norms at meet with fintech heads
- Indian Navy conducts airborne insertion ops over Arabian Sea
KVs told to discontinue German for Sanskrit
The Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan has decided to discontinue teaching German as an alternative to Sanskrit as third language, a decision which HRD Minister Smriti Irani on Friday said was taken in view of \"national interest.\"
New Delhi: The Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan has decided to discontinue teaching German as an alternative to Sanskrit as third language, a decision which HRD Minister Smriti Irani on Friday said was taken in view of "national interest."
The Board of Governors (BoG) of the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS), headed by Irani, had in its meeting on October 27 decided that "teaching of German language as an option to Sanskrit will be discontinued herewith". German has been kept as an additional subject of hobby class for the students.
The decision is expected to affect about over 70,000 students across 500 KVs from classes 6 to 8 who will be asked to switch from German to Sanskrit. When asked a question in this regard, Irani said, "The decision has been taken in the interests of the nation." They will be given an option to pick the language of their choice as annual exams are barely three months away. The KVs will provide counselling to the students.
Sanskrit teachers had earlier moved Delhi High Court alleging that KVS had introduced German as a third language in place of Sanskrit against the education policy. Ministry officials said that an MoU signed between KVS and Goethe Institute-Max Mueller Bhawan in 2011 was also not referred to the Ministry at any stage. NDA ally PMK said:"Irani's diktat asking KV schools to stop teaching German as third language and instead tutor Sanskrit is a planned imposition of Sanskrit."