ADVERTISEMENT

New York truck attack: PM Modi speaks with Trump

New York truck attack: PM Modi speaks with Trump
Highlights

Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump have resolved to fight against the global scourge of terrorism together, the White House...

WASHINGTON: Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump have resolved to fight against the global scourge of terrorism together, the White House said after Modi offered his condolences to Trump over phone following the New York terror attack .
Trump spoke with Modi and accepted his condolences following Wednesday's terrorist attack in New York City that left eight people dead and about a dozen others injured, the White House said.

Modi strongly condemned terrorism, and offered thoughts and prayers for the victims and their families, a readout of the call said."The two leaders resolved that India and the United States will continue to fight together against the global scourge of terrorism," the White House said.

Earlier in a tweet on Wednesday, Modi had condemned the attack seen as the deadliest in New York since 9/11.

"Strongly condemn the terror attack in New York City. My thoughts are with the families of the deceased & prayers with those injured," he said.

British Prime Minister Theresa May also spoke with Trump over phone, according to the White House."President Trump and Prime Minister May agreed on the importance of closer counterterrorism coordination between the United States and the United Kingdom," the White House said.

Sayfullo Saipov, an immigrant from Uzbekistan, in a rented pickup truck mowed down pedestrians and cyclists along a busy bike path near the World Trade Center memorial on Tuesday, killing at least eight and seriously injuring 11 in what the mayor called "a particularly cowardly act of terror.

"Sayfullo Saipov told investigators he had been inspired by watching Islamic State videos and began planning the attack a year ago, according to a criminal complaint filed against him on Wednesday.

Saipov, 29, who was hospitalized after he was shot by a police officer and arrested, confessed to authorities that he made a trial run with a rental truck on October 22 to practice turning the vehicle and "stated that he felt good about what he had done" after the attack, the complaint said.

Show Full Article
Download The Hans India Android App or iOS App for the Latest update on your phone.
Subscribed Failed...
Subscribed Successfully...
More Stories


Top