- Mallampally as new mandal
- The list of LS ticket prospects becomes longer in Kerala
- Sitharaman credits Narasimha Rao for bringing 33% reservation for women at Panchayat level
- High-speed train between Ahmedabad & Sanand to commence operations in 6 months
- Delhi Police file charge sheet before court in Pragati Maidan tunnel robbery case
- India 'oldest democracy', publish books presenting its journey to world: Om Birla to publishers
- Women's representation in policymaking now set to increase significantly, says Anurag Thakur
- Assam government waives off loans of 2.2 lakh women
- I don't think anyone in world cricket at the moment would have a seam position as good as Shami: Harbhajan Singh
- Two terrorists arrested in J&K’s Baramulla
Gutha elected Council chief unanimously
Former MP Gutha Sukhender Reddy was unanimously elected chairman of the Telangana Legislative Council on Wednesday.
Hyderabad: Former MP Gutha Sukhender Reddy was unanimously elected chairman of the Telangana Legislative Council on Wednesday. Deputy Chairman of the Council Nethi Vidyasagar announced Reddy's unanimous election on the floor of the House. His candidature was supported by members of the ruling TRS, AIMIM and others.
Reddy was accompanied to the Chair by Legislative Affairs Minister Vemula Prashant Reddy and other ministers, Congress member T Jeevan Reddy, BJP's N Ramachander Rao and Syed Aminul Hasan Jafri of AIMIM.
Hailing the election of Sukhender Reddy to such high office, Prashant Reddy and other members expressed confidence that he would uphold the high traditions of democracy and will excel in his new role as Chairman of the Council.
Speaking after the unanimous election as Chairman of Legislative Council, Sukhender Reddy said that discussions in the House should not lead to individual attacks. "Debates should be meaningful and helpful to people. I will strive to take up proceedings in an efficient manner," he said. Seeking support from all members for smooth conduct of the House, Reddy cautioned that he may be tough at times.
T Jeevan Reddy of Congress party recalled how Sukhender Reddy, who hails from a family of agriculture, started as a milk producer before entering political arena as a ward member in gram panchayat.
Then he became an MP for three terms and a popular leader from Nalgonda district. He lauded the services rendered by Reddy to society. He hoped the new Chairman's 40-year-long political experience would help him in conducting the Upper House of the legislature with aplomb.