Congress fields Ajay Rai from Varanasi, ends speculation on Priyanka
The announcement came ahead of Narendra Modi's road show in Varanasi.
New Delhi: The Congress on Thursday fielded Ajay Rai from Varanasi to take on Prime Minister Narendra Modi, ending speculation on party general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra fighting polls from the temple town in Uttar Pradesh.
The Congress also fielded Madhusudan Tiwari from Gorakhpur against BJP's actor-turned politician Ravi Kishan.
Speculation on Priyanka Gandhi making her political debut from Varanasi was fuelled after Congress president Rahul Gandhi, to a question on whether he planned to field his sister against PM Modi, said last week, "I will leave you in suspense. Suspense is not always a bad thing."
The Congress fielded Ajay Rai against Modi in 2014 as well.
He finished third in the contest, after Modi and Aam Aadmi Party's Arvind Kejriwal.
- Exit Poll Results 2019 Live Updates: NDA set to return to power, predict most exit polls
- NDA tipped to retain power at the Centre: Exit polls on TV
- Rahul Gandhi tells Karnataka leaders to behave, avoid coalition troubles
- Three dead as SUV hits a truck
- Madhya Pradesh woman dies of cardiac arrest while waiting to vote