- Team ‘Double iSmart’ wishes Puri Jagannadh a very happy birthday with a powerful poster
- MS Swaminathan-Jagadguru of Agriculture Revolution in India
- Supreme Court orders police investigation into fabrication of its order
- ‘Animal’ teaser: Ranbir in beast mode
- India sees marked improvement in Global Terrorism Index: FICCI CASCADE report
- MS Swaminathan's contribution to India's agricultural progress and economy immense: Siddaramaiah in tribute
- Thakur row: Lalan Singh comes out in support of Manoj Jha
- After Netflix, Disney+ to restrict password sharing outside homes
- Musk’s X disables feature to report misinformation about elections
- Earning wife's income unique as she has diverse responsibilities: Calcutta HC
Imphal: Amit Shah holds talks with Manipur civil society leaders
Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday visited Churachandpur, the scene of some of the worst rioting in the recent ethnic conflict which broke out in Manipur earlier this month, to hold talks with Kuki civil society leaders.
Imphal/Churachandpur : Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday visited Churachandpur, the scene of some of the worst rioting in the recent ethnic conflict which broke out in Manipur earlier this month, to hold talks with Kuki civil society leaders.
Among others, Shah who flew down in a helicopter accompanied by the IB chief and home secretary, is meeting church leaders as well as intellectuals from the Kuki community to understand their grievances and find ways to bring peace to the northeastern state which has witnessed a series of clashes between Meiteis and Kukis.
Manipur has been hit by ethnic conflict for nearly a month and witnessed a sudden spurt in clashes and firing between militants and security forces on Sunday, after a relative lull for over a fortnight. The death toll from clashes has gone up to 80, officials said.
The home minister is accompanied by Home Secretary Ajay Kumar Bhalla and Director of the Intelligence Bureau Tapan Kumar Deka.
Shah also held consultations on Tuesday with stake-holders starting with a breakfast meeting with a group of women leaders, as part of his initiative to bring peace to the violence-hit state. "Held a meeting with a group of women leaders (Meira Paibi) in Manipur. Reiterated the significance of the role of women in the society of Manipur. Together, we are committed to ensuring peace and prosperity in the state," Shah tweeted.