Nurse ends life over a TV show
Quarrel with brother over the remote leads to suicide She was hurt mother also scolded her and supported...
- Quarrel with brother over the remote leads to suicide
- She was hurt mother also scolded her and supported her brother who was watching an IPL match
Hyderabad: Madhupriya, a paramedic, committed suicide in her room after she was pulled up by her mother following a quarrel with her brother over the choice of channels on television at Machabollarum area of Alwal police station limits late on Monday night.
Working as a nurse in Asian Institute of Gastroenterology at Panjagutta, she injected herself with an overdose of insulin late on Monday night and was found dead on Tuesday morning, Alwal Sub-Inspector Suresh, who is the investigating officer, said based on a complaint lodged by the young woman's mother.
She happened to be the lone breadwinner of the family as her father Nageswar Rao died in a road accident four years ago.A Madhupriya returned home after a gruelling day and wanted to relax a little watching a television serial. But her brother Ajay was already glued to TV watching the IPL match.
Sub-Inspector Suresh said, Madhupriya asked her brother to hand over the TV remote so that she could switch to her favourite serial, but Ajay refused to part with it. It paved the way for a verbal duel between Madhupriya and her brother thus calling for the intervention of their mother Nirmala.
Police sources said Nirmala supported Ajay and prevailed upon Madhupriya to let her brother watch the IPL match. Hurt by the importance given to the entertainment of her brother at the cost of her interests, Madhupriya silently retired into her bedroom. As usual, Nirmala called out Madhupriya on Tuesday morning to wake up but there was no response.
She went inside the room and found her daughter lying dead. A shocked Nirmala called police with the help of neighbours. Three empty bottles of insulin and a cyringe were found on the bed indicating that the woman apparently injected herself with an overdose of insulin leading to her death, police said. Alwal police registered a case and further investigations were underway.