- Petrol and diesel prices today in Hyderabad, Delhi, Chennai and Mumbai on 27 September, 2023
- Gold rate in Visakhapatnam today slashes, check the rates on 27 September, 2023
- BJP claps back at BRS for outbursts against Guv Tamilisai
- Durga temple earns Rs 2.92 cr from hundi
- Delhi: Thieves Steal Diamonds And Gold Worth Rs 24-25 Crore
- Dengue Outbreak Secrecy Unveiled: Delhi Faces Worst Crisis Since 2015 Amid G20 Summit Hush-Up
- Karnataka Farmers' Protest: Bengaluru Shutdown Over Cauvery Water Release
- Union Minister visits Durga temple
- Modi most inefficient, inept, incompetent PM: KTR
- Vijayawada: Youth drama competition begins
Research scholar tries to immolate self at VSU
A research scholar, J Sudheer has tried to commit suicide by immolating himself on the top floor of a building in Vikrama Simhapuri
Nellore: A research scholar, J Sudheer has tried to commit suicide by immolating himself on the top floor of a building in Vikrama Simhapuri University (VSU) campus on Wednesday. He took extreme step as the VSU officials refused to recommend his name to UGC for fellowship. According to varsity authorities, the scholar has been opposing the varsity authorities on every issue since he joined the PhD course. They said that he has been posting criticism against the varsity on Facebook. Officials said he openly criticised the VSU in a College Day function held recently.
VSU Registrar Prof PR Sivasankar said the scholar had attacked the university college principal along with some hostellers for opening the mess though he is not an inmate. It was an issue between the hostellers and VSU officials but Sudheer involved and made it as a law and order problem in the campus, he added.
A varsity senior official said they had lodged a complaint against Sudheer with the I-town police on the issue.
On Thursday, when Sudheer asked about the status of his application for fellowship, the Vice-Chancellor asked about a police case filed against him. Infuriated with VC’s response, Sudheer climbed atop the building and threatened to end life. The varsity officials called up police personnel. They pacified the protesting students and convinced them to climb down the building. The VSU officials agreed to recommend his name for fellowship after he gave an undertaking of not creating any trouble in campus.