Agitating contract electricity workers held
Police arrested electrical contract workers after the AITUC and CITU gave a call to picket the APEPDCL office here on Wednesday.
Visakhapatnam: Police arrested electrical contract workers after the AITUC and CITU gave a call to picket the APEPDCL office here on Wednesday.
It may be recalled that the contract electrical employees were on a relay hunger strike from the past 10 days in front GVMC in the city demanding regularisation of their services. As there is no response from the government, the AITUC and CITU called upon the workers for picketing.
Police arrested AITUC leader P Ramana, CITU leader RKSV Kumar and others. Later, they shifted them to III Town and IV Town police stations. The contract workers as a part of their agitation, took out a rally from GVMC to EPDCL office. But police arrested the workers at various places.
The trade union leaders stated that the state government is not responding though 30,000 contract employees are taking part in the relay hunger strike in a peaceful manner across the state for their genuine demands since 10 days.
- Madras High Court refuses to quash charges against Dayanidhi Maran, others in telephone exchange case
- Social media firms to act against paid adverts violating Election Commission norms: IAMAI
- BJP ministers organise Holika Dahan, say it symbolises burning of evil of 'corruption of Congress, AAP'
- No deadlock in Mahagathbandhan over seats: Tejashwi
- Activist Gauri Sawant appointed as first transwoman Election Commission ambassador