5 die as ex-army man opens fire in airport
The 26-year-old suspect, identified as Esteban Santiago who had been treated for mental health issues, drew a gun from his checked luggage on arrival...
Houston: An Army veteran, who had told FBI that he was being forced to fight for ISIS, opened fire in the baggage area of the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Florida, killing five people and wounding eight others, the latest mass shooting incident to rock the US.
The 26-year-old suspect, identified as Esteban Santiago who had been treated for mental health issues, drew a gun from his checked luggage on arrival at the busy airport and opened fire in the baggage claim area on Friday, authorities said. Santiago, who was wearing a Star Wars t-shirt, was taken into custody. His motive was not immediately known.
Florida's Broward County Sheriff's office said five people were dead and eight others had been taken to a nearby hospital. The shooting took place on Friday in Terminal 2 in the baggage claim area, outside the TSA checkpoint, police said. Air Canada and Delta Airlines operate out of Terminal 2. People were corralled onto the tarmac and paramedics were at the scene, police said.
All services at the airport were temporarily suspended, the airport tweeted. Later, the Fort Lauderdale airport announced at 10:00 GMT via Twitter that they were again open for business. A Iraq war veteran, Santiago was discharged from the Alaska Army National Guard last year due to unsatisfactory performance. In November, Santiago paid a visit to the FBI office in Anchorage, telling agents he was being directed by a US intelligence agency to fight for ISIS, CNN reported, citing law enforcement sources.