Khashoggi murder: Germany says it will bar 18 Saudis
Germany will bar 18 Saudis from entering its territory and Europes Schengen passportfree zone over their alleged links to the murder of Jamal...
Brussels: Germany will bar 18 Saudis from entering its territory and Europe’s Schengen passport-free zone over their alleged links to the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said on Monday. Maas said the move was “coordinated very closely with” states France and Britain and the broader EU as they seek more information in Khashoggi’s death last month in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
Berlin has “decided that Germany should impose an entry ban on 18 Saudi citizens, who are presumed to be in connection with this deed, in the Schengen information system,” Maas said. “We are in close coordination within the European Union,” he said, speaking on the sidelines of a meeting of EU ministers in Brussels. “Over the weekend, we stated we expected further steps to be taken to clarify the situation. We will follow on this closely and reserve further steps for ourselves.”
The Schengen zone— composed of 22 EU nations and four non-EU countries. EU member Britain is not part of the passport-free Schengen zone, but shares intelligence through Shengen Information System (SIS) for law enforcement purposes. Germany called last month for EU nations to follow lead and suspend arms sales to Saudi Arabia, prompting a dismissive response from French President Macron.