- BJP, JD(S) gasping like fish out of water: Siddaramaiah on collapse of Cong Govt quip
- TikTok to invest $1.5 bn in GoTo’s Indonesia e-commerce biz
- Snow in Beijing affects road, railway, air traffic
- Till you take to streets, govt won’t listen: Sharad Pawar at Maha agitation
- Amit Shah moves 2 J&K Bills for passage in Rajya Sabha
- Countdown to select new Madhya Pradesh CM begins as observes reach BJP office
- WhatsApp Update- WhatsApp Set to Introduce New Channel Alerts Feature
- The government is ready to answer any issue raised by the opposition: CM Siddaramaiah
- Delhi court extends judicial custody of Manish Sisodia till Jan 10 in excise policy case
- SC recommends setting up of Truth & Reconciliation Commission to probe human rights violations in J&K
UP gang rape: 5th arrested, 2 still at large
Uttar Pradesh Gang Rape: 5th Main Arrested, Two Still At Large. All the five main accused, including two policemen, have been arrested in connection with the gang-rape and murder of two Dalit sisters in Uttar Pradesh, police said on Saturday.
BADAUN: All the five main accused, including two policemen, have been arrested in connection with the gang-rape and murder of two Dalit sisters in Uttar Pradesh, police said on Saturday.
Constable Chhatrapal Yadav was arrested late Friday night and Urvesh Yadav was detained in the wee hours on Saturday, Superintendent of Police A K Saxena said.
All the five accused named in the FIR, including constables Sarvesh Yadav, Chhatrapal and three brothers Pappu Yadav, Awadhesh Yadav and Urvesh Yadav have been arrested.
The FIR was registered against seven persons including two unnamed men after outrage over the incident.
Taking note of the incident, Katra Sadatganj police outpost in-charge Ram Vilas Yadav was been suspended and two constables — Sarvesh and Chhatrapal — were terminated from services on Friday, Saxena said.
While the two constables have been booked under Section 120B (criminal conspiracy) of IPC, the three brothers have been booked under Section 302 (murder) and 376 (rape).
The two girls, who were cousins and aged 14 and 15, went missing from their house on the night of May 27 and their bodies were found hanging from a mango tree in the village in Ushait area on May 28.
The postmortem report of the two girls confirmed that they were raped before murder.
A lot of hue and cry has been created by the opposition, with BSP supremo demanding a CBI probe into the matter.
The family of the two victims had also demanded a CBI probe, saying they had no faith in local police which was "hand in gloves" with the accused.
The father of one of the girls had on Friday called for transferring the case to the agency alleging that the role of police was "suspicious".
"The role of police in the entire incident is suspicious. Had the cops acted timely and did not showed laxity, lives of the girls would have been saved. They were hand in gloves with the accused," father of one of the victim had said.
The Uttar Pradesh government has also sanctioned financial assistance of Rs 5 lakh each to the family members of the victims while directing officials to provide security to them.