- Key SIMI operative nabbed after 22 years from Maharashtra
- No surprises in first list of TDP in Srikakulam
- South Korea probes company on US sanctions list over Russia connection
- Amit Shah in MP to review BJP's LS election preparations
- Visakhapatnam: PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone for redevelopment of 12 rly stations
- APPSC chairman Gautam Sawang asks candidates not to believe rumours on Group 1 exams
- Aspirants upset in Dhone, Kodumur constituencies
- Mann Ki Baat will not be broadcast for next three months, says PM Modi
- Time to send YSRCP packing: BJP
- Visakhapatnam: Amarnath berates joint list a ‘package’ engineering
India is most tolerant country: Mehbooba Mufti
Attempting to silence those raising their concerns over growing intolerance, People\'s Democratic Party (PDP) president Mehbooba Mufti on Friday said that India is the most tolerant country as the people live together despite the secular and communal debate.
New Delhi: Attempting to silence those raising their concerns over growing intolerance, People's Democratic Party (PDP) president Mehbooba Mufti on Friday said that India is the most tolerant country as the people live together despite the secular and communal debate.
"India is the most tolerant society. We are not talking about the politicians, politicians play their own game, they make atmosphere intolerant. People of this country are the most tolerant people in the world and that is why they are living together for such a long time in spite of all the secular and communal debate," Mufti told the media here.
The PDP leader backed Bollywood stars Aamir Khan and Shahrukh Khan besides others who have protested against certain unfortunate incidents in the country.
"But I don't think anybody should tell anyone to leave this country and go to Pakistan. The Indian Muslims have consciously rejected the two-nation theory and decided to stay with India. It is their country. Nobody has right to tell them to go to Pakistan," she said.
The Shiv Sena had earlier lashed out at Aamir over his remark and asked him to declare as to which country he would like to settle in.
"If India is not safe for living, then which country is 'Idiot Ranchoddas' (Aamir's character in the movie 3-Idiots) planning to go? Is it Pakistan, Afghanistan, Paris, Brussels or Mali? He should declare at earliest. Those who do not feel that the country is theirs should stop pretending to be patriots," an article in Shiv Sena mouthpiece Saamna said.
Speaking at the eighth edition of the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards, Aamir had earlier expressed alarm and despondency over the rise in cases displaying intolerance in the last six to eight months.
He had said that a sense of 'insecurity' and 'fear' had seeped deep within society.
"When I go home and talk to Kiran (Aamir's wife), for the first time she says, 'Should we move out of India?'" Khan said.
The actor, however, clarified on Wednesday that neither he nor his wife Kiran has any intention of leaving the country as he is proud to be an Indian.