- Hyderabad man dies in US after falling into swimming pool
- NMC believes that Union should not represent matter, ASG tells Delhi HC in stem cell therapy for autism case
- Sri Lanka varsity drops joint research with Chinese ship Shi Yan 6 despite pressure from Beijing
- Assam to conduct socio-economic survey of five 'indigenous' Muslim communities
- Bajaj Allianz gets Rs 1,010 crore GST demand notice
- Asian Games: Parul Choudhary, Annu Rani claim gold as India picks six medals in athletics
- Delhi HC defers Kal Airways' Kalanithi Maran's plea against SpiceJet CMD to Oct 9
- Maruti Suzuki gets Income Tax Dept order to pay up Rs 2,159cr
- Manipur CM announces reward on absconding ‘rumour monger’
- Delhi Police arrest NewsClick founder Prabir Purkayastha
Sunanda Pushkar case: Delhi court grants anticipatory bail to Tharoor
The Delhi\'s Patiala House Court on Thursday granted anticipatory bail to Congress leader Shashi Tharoor in connection with the death case of his wife Sunanda Pushkar.Tharoor will have to furnish a bail bond of Rs. 1 lakh, and only then he will be granted anticipatory bail by the Delhi court.
New Delhi: The Delhi's Patiala House Court on Thursday granted anticipatory bail to Congress leader Shashi Tharoor in connection with the death case of his wife Sunanda Pushkar.Tharoor will have to furnish a bail bond of Rs. 1 lakh, and only then he will be granted anticipatory bail by the Delhi court.
"He (Tharoor) has been granted bail on two conditions i.e he cannot travel abroad without prior permission of the court and that he could not tamper with the evidences and witnesses. He also has to file Rs. 1 lakh in the court which it demands," advocate Vikas Pahwa told media here.
On Wednesday, the court reserved its order on Tharoor's anticipatory bail plea in connection with the same. Meanwhile, the Special Investigation Team (SIT) opposed Tharoor's anticipatory bail plea.On June 5, the Delhi court had issued a summon notice to Tharoor in the connecting case.
Tharoor, who has been charged for "abetment to suicide and cruelty" in the case, was earlier asked to appear before the court on July 7. The court had also taken cognizance of the charge-sheet filed in the case.Earlier on May 24, the Delhi court, which was hearing the case, transferred the matter to the Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM), Samar Vishal.
On May 14, the Delhi Police had filed a charge sheet in the court, in which it named Tharoor as an accused, under sections 306 (Abetment of suicide) and 498A (Husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).Tharoor, however, had dismissed the charge sheet filed as "preposterous".
Sunanda was found dead under mysterious circumstances in a suite of a five-star hotel in Delhi on the night of January 17, 2014.