Prasad poisoning: Death toll rises to 13
The death toll in the food poisoning incident at a temple in Chamarajnagar district rose to 13, with two more succumbing on Sunday, Health Department officials said
Bengaluru: The death toll in the food poisoning incident at a temple in Chamarajnagar district rose to 13, with two more succumbing on Sunday, Health Department officials said.
Joint Director of Health Department Suresh Shastry said two deaths were reported at Apollo Hospital on Sunday.
The deceased were identified as Mageshwari, 36, and Salamma, 35; another victim, Sharat was critical, he said.
The official said four patients were on ventilator at Suyogh Hospital and two of them were critical. He said one more person might need the assisted ventilation.
The tragedy occurred on Friday morning at Sulavadi village where special pooja was conducted at the Maramma Devi temple as part of groundbreaking ceremony.
Later, prasad was distributed and those who consumed it started throwing up and complained of stomach pain with diarrhoea-like symptoms. They were rushed initially to local hospitals and later to major hospitals in Bengaluru, Mysuru as well as neighbouring towns.
At least 100 people are still hospitalised, sources in the Health Department said. Samples of prasad were sent for lab tests the same day.
With the villagers urging officials to take over the administration of the temple on the grounds that factional feud led to spiking of the prasad, the police are now probing suspected foul play in the incident.
That apart, reports suggest that CCTV cameras installed in the temple were defunct. Two people have been detained so far.