- Real Madrid signs Bellingham from Borussia Dortmund for over 100 million euros
- RSS chief to be in Udaipur on June 8-9
- BRS govt's efforts led to sustainable, constant availability of water: MLC Kavitha
- Pak Army top brass vows to tighten noose around masterminds of May 9 'rebellion'
- Karnataka's free power scheme to cost Rs 13,000 crore annually
- Vadnagar Railway station gets a facelift
- Woman commits suicide in J&K after failing civil service exams
- Doing good for others is beneficial to children's emotional, physical health: Study
- 'Oppn meeting will be held on June 23 in Patna': JD-U leader
- 1 in every 7 cars sold now an EV, China's BYD dominate again
Chennai to host World Chess
Chennai (PTI): Tamil Nadu will host the World Chess Championship here from November 6 to 26, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa announced in the State...
Chennai (PTI): Tamil Nadu will host the World Chess Championship here from November 6 to 26, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa announced in the State Assembly on Monday. The government would release Rs 29 crore to conduct the championship, being held for the first time in India, she said while making a suo moto statement on the floor of the assembly. Last year, the government wanted to host the event, but Russia won it its bid and staged the event, she said. Jayalalithaa recalled that World Chess Federation President Kirsan Illyumzhinov had met her in 2011 with the proposal to hold the event in Chennai. This year, the Federation allotted the event to Tamil Nadu without going through the bidding process, she said. Five time world chess champion Viswanathan Anand and Norway's Magnus Carlsen, ranked number one are among the top players who would be participating in the championship.