Aussies stick to their guns
Australia\'s cricketers will not back down in a bitter pay dispute, David Warner has warned amid fears their October tour of India is looming as a flashpoint.
Sydney: Australia's cricketers will not back down in a bitter pay dispute, David Warner has warned amid fears their October tour of India is looming as a flashpoint.
As the June 30 deadline for a new memorandum of understanding between Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricketers Association fast approaches, the Australia vice- captain insisted players won't budge on their demands."Well from July 1, we're unemployed," Warner told Channel Nine.
"We've been threatened with that. We're hopeful there's going to be an agreement done, it's a sticky situation."CA has threatened not to pay contracted players beyond the expiry of their current financial deal at the end of the month if they do not accept a new offer, with the governing body determined to scrap revenue-sharing after 20 years.
With a Test squad for an August tour of Bangladesh named last week, Warner was adamant that a lockout was possible.
"From our point of view I want to play for Australia and so do the other boys," he said."But if there's nothing that's put in place for what we're trying to achieve here, from both point of views, we're not going to tour Bangladesh, there might not be an Ashes if we don't have an MOU."
For all the concerns about the Bangladesh tour, and the uncertainty about the home Ashes series, cancelling the five ODI India tour in October could cost Australian cricket more than it can afford to lose.