- Vijayawada: Industry-Academia Dialogue Conclave held at SRM
- Supriya Sule, Praful Patel new working presidents of NCP
- We’ll see as we go along, Puri on petrol prices
- Visakhapatnam: Make use of technology to benefit planet
- Telangana Congress to study winning chances every 15 days in Assembly segments
- Hyderabad : Telangana Run tomorrow, traffic restrictions in city
- Hyderabad: Niranjan Reddy terms it Delhi-scripted meet
- Kanna Lakshminarayana slams power cuts, tariff hike
- KA Paul urges KCR to join hands
- Telangana: Kanti Velugu reaches out to 1.6 cr people
Halep thwarts Serena history bid with a resounding victory
Simona Halep torpedoed Serena Williams’ latest bid to capture a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam on Saturday when she stormed to a sensational victory in a 56-minute Wimbledon final.
London : Simona Halep torpedoed Serena Williams' latest bid to capture a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam on Saturday when she stormed to a sensational victory in a 56-minute Wimbledon final.
The 27-year-old Romanian captured her second career major with a 6-2, 6-2 victory adding a maiden Wimbledon -- the first for her country in both men's and women's singles -- to her 2018 Roland Garros triumph.
Defeat for 37-year-old Williams, a seven-time Wimbledon champion who won the last of her 23 Slam titles at the 2017 Australian Open, meant her attempt to equal Margaret Court's all-time record for major wins was put back on ice until at least the US Open.
"My mom said when I was 10 that if I want to do something in tennis I have to play in the final at Wimbledon," said Halep.
"I had lots of nerves, my stomach wasn't very well. I have never played a better match. I said at the start of the tournament that one of my motivations was to win and become a lifetime member of the club."
Williams bluntly admitted she had not been at the races against a superior opponent. "She played out of her mind. I was like a deer in the headlights," said Williams.
Williams was undone by 26 unforced errors to Halep's two.
Williams may have kept Halep waiting to go on court but if she hoped that would upset her opponent it did quite the opposite.