Mutton Haleem: A Ramadan Special Delicacy To Serve On This Festive Day
Eid al-Fitr… This holy day is a religious festival for all the Muslims which marks the end of the dawn to sunset fasting.
Eid al-Fitr… This holy day is a religious festival for all the Muslims which marks the end of the dawn to sunset fasting. As the new Moon was sighted yesterday night, people will now break their fast and celebrate this day with much joy and offer prayers to Allah for their well-being.
According to the Sunnah, which is the record of teachings of the Prophet Mohammad, all the Muslims wake up early in the morning, chantSalatul-Fajr (daily prayers), then go for a bath and spritzittar (perfume). It is also necessary to have breakfast before people head to perform special prayers. All the Muslims also recite the takbir, which is the declaration of faith and also happily donate the needy things to all the poor people.
So on this special day, we Hans India have come up with the recipe of 'Mutton Haleem' for our readers… Have a look and prepare it at your homes!!!
For Cooking Mutton
• Oil - 1 Tbsp
• Whole Spice (Bay leaf, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Clove)
• Onion - 2 nos thinly sliced
• Boneless Mutton - 1 kg
• Turmeric powder - 3/4 tsp
• Chili powder - 2 tsp
• Salt to taste
• Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
For Cooking Dal & Broken Wheat
• Urad Dal - 1/2 cup
• Chana Dal - 1/2 cup
• Broken Wheat - 1 cup (200 ml)
• Salt to taste
• Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
• Peppercorns - 1/2 tsp
• Ghee - 2 tsp
• Coriander powder - 1 tsp
• Cumin powder - 1 tsp
• Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
• Tomato - 2 nos chopped
• Curd - 1 cup
• Green chili - 2 nos chopped
• Coriander leaves
• Mint leaves
• Fried Onions
• Roasted Cashew nuts
• Lemon wedges
• First, soak urad dal, chana dal & broken wheat for 2 hours. The pressure cook the soaked dal & broken wheat by adding water, salt, turmeric powder and peppercorns. After the dal & broken wheat gets cooked, mash it well and set it aside.
• Next, in a pressure cooker add oil, whole spice (bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, clove), onions &saute till onion turns brown colour.
• Then goes in the boneless mutton pieces, turmeric powder, chili powder, salt, ginger garlic paste, water & mix well. Now, pressure cook the mutton till it becomes soft.
• Thereafter once the mutton cooked remove the pieces, cool it & shred the mutton. Keep the gravy aside.
• Next, in a wide pot add ghee, shredded mutton, mutton gravy & mix well.
• Now goes in the spice powder coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder & mix well.
• Then add tomato, curd, green chili, coriander leaves, mint leaves & mix well. Close the pan with a lid& cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
• Next, add the mashed dal & broken wheat. Mix well & check for seasoning. Close it & cook for another 15 to 20 minutes.
• Finally, for garnish, heat ghee in a small pot add chili powder. Pour over the haleem.
• Then, garnish it with fried onions, roasted cashew nuts, lemon wedges.
Serve hot and enjoy having it with your families…
We Hans India wish Happy Eid al-Fitr to all the Muslims and hope they celebrate this holy day with much joy staying at home!!!