- FM Sitharaman stresses on compliance of norms at meet with fintech heads
- Indian Navy conducts airborne insertion ops over Arabian Sea
- Kashmiri activist Yana Mir accuses Delhi Customs of 'harassment' at IGI Airport
- Floating bridge separated for trials
- National Science Day Feb 28 State to promote scientific temperament-Boseraju
- Howlers in Agnipath INC writes to President of India to rectify
- PM Modi lays foundation of 21 Amrit Bharat Railway stations in Odisha
- India’s coal imports for power plants fall by 37% as self-reliance grows
- PM Modi's tribute to Veer Savarkar in his own handwriting goes viral
- Couple's fight over momos reaches family counselling centre
Watch: Many injured in California Garlic festival shooting, search for huntmen on
Video first posted on social media sites about an hour ago showed people running for safety at the festival.
Gilroy: A shooting at a major food festival in the US state of California caused multiple casualties on Sunday, police said.
yo somebody was shooting at the gilroy garlic festival. be safe pic.twitter.com/B39ZIYe8wr— niah ㊝ (@wavyia) July 29, 2019
"The hearts of Gilroy PD and entire community go out to the victims of today's shooting at the Garlic Festival," the local police department tweeted.
The hearts of Gilroy PD and entire community go out to the victims of today's shooting at the Garlic Festival. The scene is still active. If you are looking for a loved one, please go to the reunification center at Gavilan College at parking lot B. #GilroyActiveshooter— Gilroy Police (@GilroyPD) July 29, 2019
NBC News reported that there were at least five victims of the shooting, which took place at one of the largest food festivals in the country, which is held about 30 miles (48 kilometers) southeast of San Jose.
The channel quoted a witness named Julissa Contreras as saying a white man in his 30s carried out the shooting with a rifle.
"I could see him shooting in just every direction. He wasn't aiming at anyone specifically. It was just left to right, right to left," Contreras said, according to NBC.
Taking to Twitter US President Donald Trump condoled the incident and urged for the safety of people at the venue of the festival.
Law Enforcement is at the scene of shootings in Gilroy, California. Reports are that shooter has not yet been apprehended. Be careful and safe!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 29, 2019
"Grateful to first responders who are on the scene in Gilroy and keeping those injured by such senseless violence in my thoughts," Senator Kamala Harris, who is running for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination, wrote on Twitter.
Simply horrific. I'm grateful to the first responders who are on the scene in Gilroy, and my thoughts are with that community tonight. Our country has a gun violence epidemic that we cannot tolerate. https://t.co/WqWNxGAQnA— Kamala Harris (@KamalaHarris) July 29, 2019
Shootings are a frequent occurrence in the United States, but despite the scale of the gun violence problem in the country, efforts to address it legislatively have long been largely deadlocked at the federal level.